Analyzing Overdrive | Teen Ink

Analyzing Overdrive

By melissamaym GOLD, Oceanside, California
melissamaym GOLD, Oceanside, California

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it." -Peter Pan

"A scattered dream that's like a far-off memory, a far-off memory that's like a scattered dream, I want to line the pieces up, Yours and Mine." <3 -KH

"Everybody welcome Jonah to our English class, you can sit wherever there's an open seat."

There's an open seat next to me...I wonder if he'll choose to sit there...Oh, but there is another open desk next to Jessie on the whole other side of the classroom. Which one will he choose? Wow, he's cute. I wonder if he's an exchange student. Blonde, Fluffy hair? Maybe he's an Aussie, Oh how cute it will be if he has an Australian accent. I wouldn't be able to control myself! I'd laugh and giggle and blush...He's walking towards me! I should look away, he probably is shy, it's probably his first day, he probably doesn't want too much attention on the first day. I don't want to embarrass him-I'll look down at my notebook and pretend to not notice him. Nothing is written down, should there be? What were we learning about again? I forgot- All I know is that he picked the seat next to me! Maybe I'll just take one little glance, get a close up...It's only human nature to be curious, right? No. Nevermind. If he finds me staring I bet I'd freak him out. He's none of my business...back to the notebook- I should doodle and pretend I never even noticed him walk in...but maybe that would make me seem mean and ignorant...Maybe...one glance...No. Notebook- It's so...white...and...clean. I wonder why they picked blue lines on the paper, why not green? Or purple? Purple is my favorite color! Oh! how I'd sure love to have purble lined notebook paper. Maybe it's suppose to be patriotic- the red, the white, the blue...He said something. I don't want to look at him...his presence makes me extremely nervous and I don't know why. Are we suppose to be saying things? Did Mrs.McCormick ask him a question? Or is he talking to himself? Oh, how I absolutely love the sound of his name...Jonah...I wonder if his parents just straight out decided the name or they got it from the bible. I should ask him! No. Nevermind. What if it's too personal of a question...asking about his parents, how foolish of me to even suppose...what if he doesn't even have parents, what if he's an orphan because they died in a plane crash like in Final Destination? What if the darkness ate his parents and now he's living a terrible life with a terrible aunt or a terrible uncle who treats him terribly?? Or maybe it's just too personal of a question and he'll give me a funny look and think that all this time I was thinking about his name and whether I should ask him about it or not. He might think I'm over analyzing and judging him 'cause he's the new guy and everybody wants to know about the new guy when you're from a small town in the suburb. But then he'd be all self concious and I don't want him to feel insecure for the rest of class-we still have an hour and half left. Which means an hour and a half to get the guts to look at him- He said something again! Why didn't I hear it? Why didn't I understand what he just said? I think he does have an accent- How cute! I bet everyone else is looking at him, so why can't I? I bet he's the spotlight of English class right now and I'm missing out what he just said because I'm too caught up on what I'm gonna say or better yet!- what I'm gonna do...what am I gonna do?...One look won't hurt- wait- why did it get so silent? I'll take a peak at Mike in front of me. He's reading. I guess we're suppose to be reading. I wonder what type of book Jonah is reading. The only book I brought with me is, To Kill a Mockingbird. What if he has To Kill a Mockingbird too! That would be soo cute! Or what if he actually has killed a Mockingbird before...that would be soo not so cute. But what if he's on the same chaper as me! Ooh! or page! or line! or even word as me! What if we read at the exact same time! Oh, Gosh, that would be so cute! I should take a quick glance to my right to see what he's reading- but what if he coincidentally looks at me at the same time?! To my disapointment he would probably dig his face back into his book, or smirk at me, or tell me to mind my own business. What if I smiled at him but he interpreted it wrong! I'm too scared to look over at him. But...on the otherhand...what if I did look at him and he was already staring and then it would be like a Fairy tale! Or love at first sight! and I would become mesmerized by his (hopefully) deep ocean blue eyes and soft looking lips and perfectly fluffy hair. What if I took a chance and looked at him and he smiled at me and I would smile back. And then he would talk to me with his lovely Australian accent, "G'day mate!" and I would say, "hello," and we would talk for hours in our little world blocking out everyone around us. And we would soon drop out of highschool and fly to Australia and ride on the backs of Kangeroos and elope and get married and imprint on eachother like how Jacob did with Leah! And we would be happily married and have a beautiful family with a beautiful little girl named Hero, and a beautiful little boy named...named...named Jonah Jr.! Oh, how lovely that flows! We would buy a gorgeous house with a gorgeous pool in gorgeous Beverly Hills and we would eat expensive food with funny names like, escargo, and omlette. Omlette is a funny word...omlette...anyway we will live our dream and love eachother forever and ever and ever!!! Okay, this is it. After 20 minutes of deciding, I'm finally gonna do it. I'm going to look at him and he will already be looking back. I'm so happy that I can taste fireworks on the tip of my tongue-they taste like Razzles- anyway, here it is. This is me going to look over at him, in 5...4...3...2...Gosh, I'm nervous...1!
Where is he?! Where did he go?? Where has my Prince Charming escaped to on his white horse??! He's gone. If the desk he once sat in had feelings, it would cry. I feel like crying, but I'm not going to because that would be very foolish of me. I'll ask Desere behind me,"Des, where did Jonah go?"

"Who? Oh, the Canadian chick she left like 20 minutes ago. She realized she was in the wrong class."

"...She...?"

Sometimes us girls over-analyze a situation and just think too much :] just take action <3