An Offspring of Tragedies part 2 | Teen Ink

An Offspring of Tragedies part 2

By SteFanii GOLD, Green Bay, Wisconsin
SteFanii GOLD, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Inspiration comes from the heart of patience

The timer went off and I pick up the EPT and saw a plus sign those two lines intersecting each other I couldn’t believe it I’m pregnant. Why, I’m a teenager. I opened the door to the hallway walked downstairs only to meet Natalie by the front door holding her jacket and book bag and the most nervous look on her face.
“Olivia I’m late getting home, and my mom is going to be really mad if I’m too late.”
I stood by the window and waved good-bye as I was holding the EPT behind my back. I had this weird feeling that someone was standing behind me…but who I turned and was really startled…BUSTED! “When did you come home?” I must have asked in nervous tone.

“About two minutes ago” I had never heard mom reply or speak that sternly ever, before.

“So when did you plan on telling me this?” She looked at me, but for the first time her vibrant greenish-bluish eyes didn’t seem to sparkle like when she’s happy which is most times. They seemed to stare me down in a way that made me scared and uncomfortable…I knew I was in trouble. I just looked at her and stood absolutely still, and my heart was pounding so hard I could hear it in my chest. Mom repeated this question again but a little louder, but not quite a yell yet.

“When did you plan on telling me about this?” I just shrugged my shoulders and my heart started to pound harder and faster because I knew know that I truly was in trouble. No. Big trouble.

“A shrug Olivia? That’s it?” Mom’s voice started to shift to a yell.

“Olivia you act as if this is no big deal…your fourteen your only a teenager, you’re a straight A student who skipped a grade!” I could tell mom was about to loose it, only because her face was turning reddish-pink and her voice started to shake.

“Do you understand what a baby mean’s” mom’s voice was now a weak yell.

“Uhhh…”mom cut me off before I could finish.

“You obviously don’t because if you did you would’ve used your head and maybe realized that you’re only in high school. I baby is expensive, the doctor’s appointments, the hospital stay, epidural heck you are going to need that knowing you, and what about a cesarean section if needed, prenatal vitamins, baby’s stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Mom was right I hadn’t thought about it at all.

“Or when the baby comes; diapers, food, crib, check-ups, I can keep going if you want!” Now mom was yelling.

“You’re going to be out of school, Olivia!” There was a long pause. Mom started to calm down and started to talk softly, “Olivia the baby’s going to be up several times a night crying and your going to end up getting frustrated and really, and I mean really worn out and tired.”

“I really hope the father plans on helping you…because there is no way in hell I plan on helping you. This is not my deal or commitment, and I’m most defiantly not the mindless teenager who had made this type of mistake when I shouldn’t have. I didn’t make this mistake you did!” She turned around to go into the kitchen. I just stood shocked out of my mind that she would use the language she did. I felt so low and shallow, and stupid, and kept asking myself why I made such a mistake like I did. I felt alone, sad and scared. I just wanted to turn back time and fix everything. I also felt as if I let her down. I ran up to my room and lay on my bed and started to cry. I was scared, I really wasn’t ready to be a parent I’m only fourteen.