Star Boogie | Teen Ink

Star Boogie

By Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

Love, because you can’t love your way out of the lunatic asylum, but it makes it more fun to be a lunatic.
--Me

It is a night in July and the air conditioner is roaring, dripping into a plastic cat food dish. The paint-crusted windows are stuck, and I have a sudden urge to stand on the roof. The grass is soft as a magic carpet! The electric fans are like angels waving their arms around me, but I want to wander the grassy meadows and wave my arms with the fireflies. I want to start a fire in the open skies and let joy drip into my heart like grease dripping from a campfire-roasted hot dog. My summer soul is sticky with marshmallows. I can’t sleep! I wish I had a boat!

The night is too sweet for hymns. Dressed in short shorts and an oversized Dora the Explorer shirt, I waltz barefoot down the street, until the dance is dancing me, until the apple trees and the stars and the fireflies and mosquitos swirl around a center that is partly me, and partly the juicy blackberry deep inside the night. I can see Neptune and Pluto without a telescope. I know this precious world will be gone tomorrow, maybe sooner, but I am a dancer and I have found God.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

thats so upbeat! and im in a somewhat bad mood right now, I really needed that, thanks!