Unlikely | Teen Ink

Unlikely

By HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas
HopelessRomantic GOLD, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Chapter 6: TGIS
Abigail

TGIS: Thank God It’s Saturday. No school to go to so I can embarrass myself, just Dad working with his client and Great-Aunt Margaret to watch Daniel and me while we work.

It’s only eleven and I’m already looking forward to Daniel coming over. I guess it’s that feeling of having a friend that makes me so antsy. I’ve never had a friend, so I’ve never had to wait on anyone to come over and spend a Saturday with me.

Great-Aunt Margaret comes over to the window where I am looking out. “A watched pot never boils, darling. Come away from the window and have some hot chocolate and lunch.”

“Okay, Aunt Margie.” I leave my spot at the windowsill to come to the cozy kitchen.

“So, tell me about this boy, Daniel.” Aunt Margie gives me a mock stern look.

I laugh. “Okay, so he’s the new kid at school. I will warn you, he has kind of a tough appearance and sort of Goth.”

“Okay, I can deal with that.”

I look up in shock. “I didn’t pair myself with him, Aunt Margie. Mr. Hartwear did. Said these would be our partners for the semester, then possible new partners next semester.”

“I know. I’ve known Mr. Hartwear since before you were alive. He’s been doing this for years.”

“He has?” I lean over my cup of cocoa, eager for the story.

“Most of the time, it works in extremes. Either the pair hates each other for life, or they fall deeply in love. I’ve lived to see several of those pairs get married, and others walk out of each others’ life forever.”

“Wow.” I lean back in my chair, thinking. I don’t want to lose the one friend, I mean acquaintance, that I have, but at the same time I’m wary about love.

Aunt Margie gets a sly look on her face. “Maybe you and Daniel will fall in love.”

“What? No way! I wouldn’t…I couldn’t. He’s my only friend. I wouldn’t destroy it like that.” I shake my head.

“Love is not a destruction of friendship, dear. It’s a deepening of friendship and understanding. You’re switching ships at port, on one that’s more delicate, but sweet and gentle all the same.” She smiles. “Love will find you, sweetheart.”

“Aunt Margie, I’ve known him for two days. We’re not falling in love.” I insist, feeling a blush rise to my cheeks.

“Whatever you say, dearie. Just guard your heart carefully and let the right man in.”

“I will, Auntie.” In truth, I was baffled by her advice. Whatevs, right?

I head upstairs and begin typing my pre-write for Biology on my MacBook Air. After about an hour, the lines begin to blur, and my eyelids become heavy.

Brrrrrrrring! My head jerks up. I slap the alarm, and blink at the time. 2:00 PM? What the heck? I did not just sleep for three hours!

I jump up from my desk and run to the shower. I hurriedly shower and bathe. While my hair is in a towel turban, I run to my closet and pull out a wispy, belted top and a pair of embroidered jeans. I yank on my jeans and throw on the almost see-through top. I pull the top back off and put a colored cami underneath and put the top back on over it. I finish drying my hair and apply my makeup.

2:58 PM. Whew, I made it.

Ding-dong. The doorbell rings and echoes throughout the house. I thump down the stairs most ungracefully and answer the door.

“Hey, Abigail.” Daniel is standing there.

He’s wearing normalish clothes today. He’s wearing jeans from the men’s department, not the juniors and a regular t-shirt.

“Hey, Daniel.” I answer, smiling. “Come on in.”

Great-Aunt Margaret enters the room with two mugs of hot chocolate and a tray of gingerbread.

“Yum, thanks Aunt Margie. Daniel, this is my great-aunt Margaret Nettle. Aunt Margie, this is Daniel.” I give her the eye, telling her through my look that we’ll discuss him later.

“Nice to meet you, Ms. Nettle. Or may I call you Ms. Margaret?” Daniel shakes hands with my aunt.

Daniel? Shook hands?

Aunt Margie beams. “You may call me Ms. Margaret, Daniel.”

We head up to my room to study.

Daniel turns to me. “Hold on, before we study, I want to try something.” He sticks out his hand. “I don’t believe we’ve had the chance to meet properly.”

I giggle. “I’m Ekaterina Abigail Chadwick, but you can call me Abigail.”

“I’m Daniel Peter Sertori, but you can call me Daniel.”

This is chapter 6