My Cold War | Teen Ink

My Cold War

By kbowden13 BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio
kbowden13 BRONZE, Maumee, Ohio

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the arc and professionals built the Titanic."

There is about two feet of snow on the ground and all the families around me are decorating for Christmas. All of Montgomery had hung lights on their trees, even in the parks. I walked out to my porch to grab the paper. The front cover said, “Alabama Times; Country at War.” I hate being reminded of how my life was torn out from underneath me.

My husband has been in the war for a year now. It’s painful to hear about how hard it is over there. It’s hard here, but I can’t imagine how the soldiers are doing over there. World War II has changed everyone and everything in America. I’m only 22, but without my husband, I’m alone. I know I have my whole life ahead of me, but to think that I’d have to spend it alone, stops me in my tracks. I pray every morning that I will wake up to my husband smiling as he walks into the door, picking me up and spinning me around while he holds me. I dream of how my life would be different if he were home.

Everyone in town has at least one person they love in the war. When we’re out at the market, we all have this sad and lost look on our faces like we have no hope or fight left in our lives. All we can do is just keep our heads up and hope for the best. There have been a few people I know that have already received letters of their loved ones passing away. I get this horrible feeling every time I see that military car drive by. I always wonder if I will be the next stop on their list. I know my husband is thinking about me… Well I hope so. We were married for about six months before he was deployed, so it’s hard for me to think about how my life would be if I lost him forever.

One morning, there was a knock at my door, not thinking anything of it, I opened the door with a smile on my face to see two military policeman standing at my door. They took off their hats and handed me a letter. With sorrow in their voice and heartbreak on their face, they explained to me that I would no longer need to worry about losing my husband for he has already given up his battle. I sank to my knees, I felt my heart in my throat, my eyes pouring tears. One of the military policemen kneeled next to me and gently touched my shoulder. He then stood up and left me alone on my porch. I watched as they drove away, my eyes making it hard for me to see. My neighbor next door ran over to me, she automatically knew what I had just received. She walked me inside and sat me on the sofa. She comforted me for as long as I can remember.

When she left, I remember holding his picture in my hand, wiping the tears off the glass of his face. Everything that I feared had come true. My life that had just began, was crumbling beneath me. I’m alone, fighting my own cold war.