Embrace Darkness | Teen Ink

Embrace Darkness

I am darkness. I have always been darkness. It was given to me, and before that I was some forgotten soul. The other two received light and pureness. I received darkness. I don't really know if I wanted it. I really can’t remember why I didn’t say anything. I only took the darkness and embraced it. Is the darkness terrible? Does it hurt when you are engulfed in it? Or is it simply a fear to the unknown, to the things it hides? But it hides you, too. If you don't want to be found it can hide you and keep you safe. It’s like a mother, powerful and strong, who keeps silent and will not whisper in you ear for assurance, because in the end it does not know love. It was never given love by anyone. So I embraced it. Maybe that’s why I took it. The other two just walked away, never looked back. They were my brothers. I still call them that today, but there is no love behind the word.
I saw time pass and the darkness remained. Up to this day I still don't know what is so scary about it. It’s lovely and somewhat warm. It keeps me company when I'm alone. I smile at it and it smiles back without remorse.
My brothers still evade me. I try to find them but they are always with some goddess or mortal. I don't hate them, but they don't know that. So, I always go back to the darkness where I can cry without shedding tears or scream without a voice. I always go back.
But I saw her one day. She was sitting by her mother. Those lovely eyes were so crystal clear and her hair so full of light. I saw her frown at me as I watched her, but I ignored it. I was staring to love her.
She hated darkness, though. Everyone did. It was a part of me now, so they hated me too. But I very much wanted her by my side. I wanted to hear her sing some song or dance with me regardless of how clumsy I was. I needed her to take the darkness.
She was on the fields when I saw her. It was unintentional. The ground tore open and she fell. My heart skipped a beat when I saw her fall. If I wasn’t near she would have died and I would have been miserable.
She screamed all day and night. She wanted to leave, that stubborn woman. But I was happy after the third day when she and I talked, and laughed, and got mad at each other. She told me about her life and I told her about mine. I meant no harm and I never did to begin with. She believed me and I smiled.
Her mother came looking for her in my domain. I tried to lie as skillfully as I could but my youngest brother came and ordered me to give her back. She didn’t want to go but she couldn’t defy her mother. I saw her leave with those sad eyes. She loved me and I loved her.
They all hated me. All twelve of them saw me as an evil adversary when in reality I was just like them. I didn’t care what was uttered behind my back. I only wanted her back. Someone ran into me as I entered their realm. Those skinny arms wrapped around me so fast that I didn’t see them coming. Everyone was silent, waiting for me to react. I slowly looked down and met her eyes. She was crying and smiling with an unquestionable joy. I smiled. A smile so large it hurt. I leaned in and kissed her forehead. I didn’t see the others. They gasped and some of them smiled in surprise, but it didn’t matter. She was with me again. She had embraced me and the darkness. I was happy.

theblondechick GOLD, Kingsport, Tennessee

I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited.
-Sylvia Path

I really loved this. I've always been a fan of myths so this appealed to me from the start. I like where you went with it and how you didn't have Hades as the brooding evil villian. You really made me feel for him in a short amount of time. Thumbs up

*LunaNight* GOLD, Staten Island, New York
i love all the greek mythology and stories of gods and how they envied mortals, but hearing how someone so cold could fall in love was one great story.

Ot took a while to figure it out but I did. Its Hades and the twelve Onlypians. I really like this.