The New Heroes (Part 5) | Teen Ink

The New Heroes (Part 5)

By SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma
SpawnofNerdom GOLD, Moore, Oklahoma

How's it goin bro?

In the sky
Ed had been thinking all day while they were at the X-Men's place. Now it was around two in the morning and on their way back to Avengers HQ. Steve had talked to him before they had left, while Alex had helped Logan get the jet ready. "I was thinking maybe you guys could go to school. It might be a good experience for you two to have friends without spider powers and suits of high tech armor." Now, he was telling her what Steve had explained, and saw the look in her eyes. He personally wanted to try it, but he could see his sister thought differently. He knew she didn't want to be stuck in a stuffy room full of unintelligent kids. She looked at him, and smiled. All her smiles recently had been fake, she didn't really know how to see the good in life when their childhood was hell. "Sure, sounds like fun."

So, in all honesty, no, Alex didn't want to go, but she could tell Ed had wanted to, so she said yes. Ed had saved her from the edge when they were little kids, the least she could do was do this for him. She remembered that like it was yesterday. Ringmaster had just been done beating her to death after she had slipped up on one of the hardest maneuvers she had ever learned. That was he case at the age of six anyway. She dropped so low as she was bleeding. While the scientists were putting bandages on her back, she had grabbed a scalpel. She was lucky they let her brother in the same room as her, otherwise she really would have gone over. She was just about to stab her throat, but he stopped her. He totally understood how she felt, he had to watch the whole thing happen. She was inches from doing it, sobbing the entire day. Not only was that the day she was saved but also the day they took her tear ducts out. She had promised silently, that she would never stoop that low ever again.

First Day
So, Spidey had recommended his old high school, Midtown High. That place was full of idiots. There was so much YOLO and swag, and people asking what foxes say. It was all so annoying. Ed and Alex had every class together, thanks to Tony. The only class they really had trouble with was gym, and it was getting through the locker room hat was the challenging part. Sure, they didn't want their scars to be hidden, but it would cause a lot of people asking questions. Nobody really wanted that. They were never late, even when they got dressed after everyone had left. Of course, they were made fun of, but then again, they had been called names their entire lives like 'abomination', and 'wretched little experiments.' Even though they were there everybody acted like they weren't. That was fine by them, they didn't want any attention. They had had plenty of that.

Avengers HQ
All the people at the table were laughing now. "Sounds like you had fun," Ben said through his giggles. "That's not the worst part. Someone asked how long we had been twins," Ed said. They laughed even harder this time. Tea shot out of Luke's nose. Both Ed and Alex actually laughed for once, and it felt good. Neither of them had laughed this hard in their entire lives.
"So what last name did you choose?" asked Logan. Alex, sitting in a different room yelled, "Howlett!" Most of the guys and gals had confused looks on their faces. "Let me explain," said Ed. "In the mid-1800's, there was this kid who disappered after his parents were murdered. They were found with three stab wounds in their stomachs. We like mystery, and we also don't know how much truth there is to that story, so we chose that." Logan just stared at them. "I gotta go..." They stared at him as he left. What got into him, Ed wondered.

Several weeks later
It was during a school assembly when everything went downhill. The Ringmaster burst through the roof of the gymnasium. There was gas, then screaming, then gunshots. The teargas was thick, and everyone was crying for real, and panicking. That was the problem. Panicking always made things worse. More people got hurt, and it made it harder to fight. Of course they couldn't stop panicking, and making it worse every second.People were falling over each other as some were shot in the legs, or back. Four teachers were already making emergency calls. "HOLD IT!" Ringmaster had yanked the microphone out of a student's hand. Everything and everyone went completely still. "We're only here because we're looking for two people. Our resorces tell us that they go here. And they're going by stupid little normal names. Alex and Ed Howlett!" Alex was completely white with terror and shock. "Damn i," Alex whispered. They made their way toward her and her cousin. Ringmaster saw them, and grinned like the cheshire cat, except bigger, and nastier. She punched Ringmaster straight in the face, and glanced at Mecha-Man. Almost time. His face was white as well. He didn't like the sight of blood, or the smell of gun smoke. "Take them!" Mecha-Man lunged in their direction. They jumped out of the way only so that he could fall on his face. "I'll go after her,"Alex said, as she saw her and her lackeys taking a couple of hostages.They were screaming and kicking, and being dragged by their hair. She ran outside where the helicopter was. It was already taking off. Secret identity be damned, she thought. She yanked off her necklace and flew up. She ended up being locked in battle with the Ringmaster and her pawns. They were flying over the Hudson when the Ringmaster had her head slammed into the controls. Of course, it broke, and they went spiraling down. That was the whole plan. She grabbed the two hostages that had actually made it onto the helicopter and jumped out the door. The girl, Sadie, had fainted, and Brad had peed himself. When she made it back to the school, the police and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents were all waiting. She put Sadie and Brad onto nearby stretchers. Toby, who is Brad's best friend, and Sadie's boyfriend, walked over and socked her in the face, She didn't punch back though. "That's her!" he yelled. Police officers slammed her against the brick wall. She started to struggle at this. "You have it all wrong! I didn't plan this!" She felt handcuffs close around her wrists. That of course was completely useless. With her strength, she could throw all of them down and break the cuffs with no sweat at all. Iron Man carrying Cap, and Spider-Man dropped down. "This is a misunderstanding," Iron Man said. "I don't care, Stark. Iv'e ignored this little game of house long enough." It was the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., Maria Hill. "She's going to Ryker's until we get this sorted out." Alex was starting to get worried now. There was no sign of her brother. She whirled around, breaking the cuffs(by accident. "Where's Ed?!" she yelled. "Get her under control, level Alpha!" Hill yelled. Alex asked again, an had a needle jabbed into her. A heavy dose of some type of drug. Within a matter of seconds, she was unconscious and was dragged away.

I can't take all the credit. My cousin, Josie, helped me with this piece :)
Thanks!