The Hunger | Teen Ink

The Hunger

By holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

'There was no need to clarify my finger snap, the implication was clear in the snap itself' - Magnus Bane

The ceremony started just like it always did. Just like the beginning of anything. Our loyal, trustworthy president who just wanted the best for us (ha!) droning on and on. About how honoured he was to be leading us, about how privileged we all were to be part of this great new world. Whatever he thought would convince us.

But it soon became clear that the president hadn’t made this a mandatory viewing just to ‘raise our spirits’. He had a message to give us.

I could imagine the thousands of people in the city. Fathers pacing in front of the television and mothers wrapping their arms protectively around their children. Older sibling looking scared and younger children wailing.

Everyone in the country was slowly starving to death. Even wealthy people were struggling to find enough to eat. And our president, our cold-blooded, dragon hearted president, had just announced further food shortages.

Anger, boiling, bubbling, burning inside me, turned my skin a slightly more crimson shade of red. How dare he stand in front of us, pretending to care while he handed us a death sentence.

Of course, people would start singing their protests, singing for change. But they would be singing a silent song. No one dared to openly defy our leaders. It wasn’t worth the risk. They would crush anything and everything you cared about.

I suppose most of the people here would survive, at least for a while. They would support each other, fight for each other.

But I was alone. I was a pariah, and outcast. And it was all his fault.

Bay_Renee SILVER, Brinkhaven, Ohio

"Kites rise the highest when going against the wind."
-Winston Churchill

I loved this! It was really cool to see a perspective from Panam that was part of the uprising. I've seen several people write from Katniss or Peeta's point of view, and that's nice, but I liked how you kept your POV vague. It could have been anyone, and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much! Good job!=]

on Dec. 30 2013 at 8:47 am
mereCat PLATINUM, Horsham, Other

"I am finally colouring inside the lines I live between"

Perfectly expresses the distopian opression of Panem and how those who rise are crushed so easily. I will be on teh look out for part two :)

holly1999 GOLD said...
holly1999 GOLD, Middlesbrough, Other

Thank you! Part two is wating to be approved :)

LaChouette GOLD, Mount Vernon, New York

“And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.”
- George Carlin

Very nice! I liked the line about singing a silent song. That's pretty powerful. I saw a few grammatical errors, but not a lot. I would suggest you expand on the situation a bit unless you plan to write a part two. Otherwise, nice job!

KenyaLove41 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." ~Ambrose Bierce
"Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" ~ Audrey Hepburn
"Good writing is only bad writing revised"~ Unknown

Okay so I enjoyed your story but I did notice a few things. In the third sentence where it says "Our loyal, trustworthy president who just wanted the best for us (ha!) droning on and on." I would recommend that you and comma and the word "was" between "(ha!)" and "droning" so that we know what tense it's in. I don't know if you meant to do that and accidently left the word out but it'll make the sentence much more grammatically correct. So it should read like this "Our loyal, trustworthy president, who just wanted the best for us (ha!), was droning on and on." Also I would suggest that you add quotation marks around "loyal, trustworthy" to show that the narrator is being sarcastic but it's fine if you wouldn't want to since you already have the "(ha!)". At the end  I spotted that an "an" should be added to the second to last sentence. "I was a pariah and [an] outcast."    Another that caught my attention is that the narrator or character in your story is neither here nor there. He's watching commenting on the president's speech but doesn't talk about how or where he's doing that. That's fine but I found it a little confusing. I felt like there were to many unanswered questions in the story which is sometimes fine but the kind of mystery that you presented was more confusing than intruiging. Anyways, I hoped I helped you. Also I'm sorry for being so late on returning the feedback just a little busy. Keep writing (:

on Apr. 9 2013 at 5:01 am
BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

Hmm.... intersting. I would really like to read more. So, the hunger part 2?

KealliiRaycene BRONZE, Sumter, South Carolina

So what? All writers are lunatics- Cornelia Funk

Great! Definitely something I would read! All you need is some romance and you'd be right up my ally!!

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

This is soo, hmm, esoteric and enthralling! I really like the thoughts that this person is having.. sounds like an up-rising is in the future? You should absolutely turn this into something and continue it. I'd LOVE to read it.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

This is awesome! Sounds like the start of a really cool novel where the main character is starving but then they overthrow the government and find out that there is actually food and they save their country from destruction. And they fall in love, of course. Just an idea. Anyway, you should really develop this cuz it would be even awesomer

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Intruiging.....well written, and I want to read more!!!!!  I like the description you use