The End of the Line: | Teen Ink

The End of the Line:

November 1, 2018
By julianatomecki SILVER, Lemont, Illinois
julianatomecki SILVER, Lemont, Illinois
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The whole class was quaking in their boots" -Anne Frank


The Year of 1941

I clench my hand around his arm as we walk into the laboratory. A drop of sweat rolls down his forehead, as he moves his other hand to mine. We walk into the circular room and Mr. Stark greets us. He extends his hand out, and helps me to take a step up to the elevated area, and he shortly follows. My gaze meets the glass. My friend Peggy looks back at me and mouths “I have your back, always,” just like she usually says. I turn back and catch the doctor’s eyes, “Shall we begin?” We start to undress until we are left with only pants, and my undergarments still on. The lab workers help me into the the pod and we both lay straight. The doctor injects our penicillin, and I try to calm my nerves. My breathing becomes heavy as I’m engulfed by stange leavers. Peggy’s face disappears as the pod comes to a close. Everything is blurry, and I know that the serum is starting to trace my DNA. The pod gets darker and darker...

I hear a voice shouting as my body violently shakes. “Bobbi? Bobbi? Please wake up! Bobbi!” I must have passed out from the serum. My eyes pop open and I star to feel dizzy. My body connects to the gravity like a skyscraper falling. Every inch of my body warms as someone catches me. I look up to see the only person I would want to see at a time like this. The only thing is, he doesn’t feel the same. His arms resemble a pile of boulders. My voice is hoarse and I try to spit out my words, “Steve? Is that you?” He gives me a warm smile, “It’s me Bobbs, its Steve.” I wrap my arms around him and whisper in his ear, “Steve. Did it work?’ He gives me a little chuckle and a grin, “Yes Bobbi, it worked.” He puts a shirt over my head and slides it down my torso. His eyes look me up and down, “Bobbi. I don't know how to say this…” My eyes drop to my legs as I try to see what Steve was talking about. My legs looked absolutely healthy, not sickly skinny like they looked before. Then my eyes trace Steve and he doesn’t resemble the man I knew all my life. I look up to look at Peggy but…

I hear the sound of shattered glass as a fire submergers from the observation area. A man in a suit runs with a tube of serum in his hand.

“Watch out!”, I yell. Then everyone turns to see the glass shatter and a red, hot mass pour out of it. How come I saw this happen before it did? The same man takes the serum, and I try to think fast. My legs force themselves up and out of Steve’s arms and start to run. All I can hear is Steve’s voice calling after me, but I can’t let him take the serum.

I stop outside the building, searching for the man. He passes by in a car and I begin to follow it. I still hear Steve’s voice behind me, “Bobbi! Hold up! Bobbi!” Loud footsteps follow me and Steve appears beside me. “Bobbi, your running so fast! And I guess I am too!” My feet move faster and pop off the ground. My hands clench onto the car and Steve flips it over. The car sits upside down and Steve holds the man by his shirt. “Tell me what you want! Why do you want the serum?” The man giggles and then injects himself in the neck, right before the lights go out he says something that will change everything.

A week passes since we were first injected, but I can’t seem to fall asleep. The same memories fill my head. The fire, the flames, the chase, him killing himself, and the words that will be trapped in my memory forever, “Hail Hydra.” I feel a hand gently tap me, then I am snapped out of my trance. I gaze into Steve’s baby blues and he stares back at my round emeralds, as we enter the military base. Our car is met by Agent Carter, and she opens the door for me. “Well, if it isn’t my favorite duo,” she says as she gives a wide smile. “The reason I called you here was because of the Hydra situation. We need heros and we need them now. We won’t rest until we have that serum back.”

Steve and I follow as she leads us into a bunker. Steve gets into his ‘concerned husband’ mode as he likes to call it, “So why has Bobbi been having these strange premonitions?” She guides us to a table, and we both take a seat. “Well,” she begins, “it seems that Barbara has had the same dosage as you Steve, but has had an unpredictable side-effect. We think it was due to how you reacted to the serum. For example, you, Steve were wide awake where as Barbara, was unconscious.” Not only would I be getting an unbelievable amount of strength, but I would also be able to see the future. If my case couldn’t have gotten better. “Hydra will not be leaving any time soon, so it’s time we get you two a persona of some sort.” She pulls out two suits and tosses it to us. His was all blue with red and white stripes on the chest area. And in the middle layed a star. My costume almost identical to his but the suit red and the red stripes were blue. Then she handed him a shield, it was the shape of a circle. Outlined with  red and white stripes, with a blue center and the same star. Next she hands me the same shield but again, opposite.“These shields are made out of vibranium, the strongest metal in the world. Don’t forget, it’s important to keep your identities a secret. The less people know, the less Hydra will be on our tracks. Is that clear, Captain America and Sergeant Liberty?”

The time has come, the thing I have been dreading from the time I came face-to-face with evil. The cruiser rolls as I look at my husband. He turns to me and softly says, “If anything happens to me, just know I did this for you. I wanted you to be proud of me, I want you to feel protected. I wanted to be enough for you.” My eyes resemble a porcelain dolls, “Oh Stevie, I wouldn’t have married you if I didn't think you weren't enough! I loved you before all of this and I have always knew you were the one for me. Steve, you will always be enough to me.” I feel the warmth of his palms trace my face and run through my butterscotch hair. He gently kisses my forehead then leans his own against mine. The man sitting in the front seat cackles to himself, and tries to conceal his laughter with his hand. “You guys! It’s like I’m at the cinema with you two! I’ll have to admit, it was very touching.” Then his head turns around to reveal his face. Steve and I sit there in shock. My brother, Steve’s best bud. Steve starts to smile, “Bucky you always find a way to make it to a party!”

Steve and I jump out of the cruiser, and the rest of the men stand behind us. Bucky comes out of the car too, and stands next to me, “Well Cap,” Buck begins, “it’s all up to you now.”

Steve splits everyone up and we head for the main target, the leader of Hydra. The soldiers are fighting off the men from the outside as we run into the building. Bucky snipes every guy in our way. The building seems to be filled with ins and outs. We find our way to the top floor. The stairs seem endless as I peer over the balcony. We all run forward. Entering a room that seems empty, due to a single table that lies in the center of it. On the table lays one singular tube, filled with the serum. “This seems too easy,” Bucky states as he holds the serum. “Your right,” a voice says behind us.

We turn to see a man holding Bucky in his arms with a gun to his head. “It seems you have the serum. See I knew that would trick you.” Steve steps back and looks at Bucky, “What do you want?” He grins mischievously, “The super serum was a side project, what I really wanted to do is bomb the military base and destroy all future projects like the ones that you have been apart of.” I look at Bucky and try to think of how to get this man away from him. “If you would like to catch it you can, but I doubt that you’ll be seeing him if you do.” He grasps Bucky harder as he says this, which makes me shudder inside.

Steve quickly throws his shield at the man and Bucky lunges out of the way. The man runs towards me and I kick him in the chest. This sends him flying towards the wall. Right before he hits it, Steve catches him and throws him on the ground. The man grabs his leg and pull it towards him. Steve hits the floor and he runs at me full speed. I hurdle through the air and land right behind him. The feeling of a automobile hitting you comes through me as I hit the wall. Pew. Pew. Bucky shoots him, and he falls to the floor. Steve immediately helps me up. And we book it towards the door. I hear sounds in my head Pew. Pew. Pew. Oh, no! The room spins when I turn to Bucky. “Watch out!” I yell. Pew. Pew. Pew. I feel chills down my spine. “Bucky?” He slowly falls down. “Bucky?!” My feet feel heavy as they try to run to him. Steve gives the man one more hard blow before we know he’s gone for sure. Bucky lies in my arms like a wounded bird, as I try to hold his wound. “Barbs, you have to go,” he starts, “you and Steve. It’s your job, it’s your duty.” He gently places the tube in my hand. I try to resist but, he’s right. We need to save our country.

The plane seems to be the only thing that matters in this world, right now. “The only place to put this plane is the middle of the ocean. Steve enters the plane and then turns to me “You stay here.” I step toward him. “No. I’m coming with.” The plane hurdles towards the ground, someone sits inside. “Wait. You can’t get on that plane! You won't have time to jump out. You’ll die.” He shakes his head, “If your premonition is true, then I don’t need you to come with me.” I run into the plane as he tries to close it. “Barbara, why did you do that?” he looks at me with pure confusion. I put my hands in his and pull him in to me. I gaze into those baby blues, one last time. “Steve, I’m with you to the end of the line.”

The Year of 2012

“Hello?”

“Yes, Mr. Fury.”

“This better be important.”

“It seems that some men in Switzerland found the bodies of Captain America and Sergeant Liberty in the ice.”

“Why would that matter to me if they’re dead?”

“See the thing is Nick...they’re still alive.”