A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

That is amazing. You strike just the right balance between hating this girl and wishing she had a better life. Tender and eloquent. Beautiful. Keep writing.

chargertien GOLD, Forest Hill, Maryland

Life sucks and is unfair. But when a melody dances in the wind, stop and enjoy the peacefulness.

Wow. At first i thought, this writer is crazy, what did this girl do to deserve this treatment. But then when you read more you realize that the girl's life sucks. And you learn, from this story, that no matter what they seem like in school, their life could be A LOT worst then yours.

brenda15 BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

you wont go anywhere unless you try. anything is possible.

i love this!!! you have great writing skills. keep writing!!!

Kitten111 SILVER, Watanobbi, Other

Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit ..... wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad :P

Really sad but what makes it really really sad is the fact that this could very well be a true story and a reality for some people .... or even a lot worse ... you gave me a good glimpse into what life is like for some people Keep on writing your awesome at it :)

beckylovesxx SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
amazing. that's all i'm going to say, because i'm just about speechless. keep writing !

I love this article! It is very well written, and shares the thoughts of everyone of this age.

MM4ever PLATINUM, Owosso, Michigan
this is AMAZING!

LoVeWrItInG BRONZE, San Francisco, California

"You have to be unique, and diffrent, and shine in your own way."
-Lady GaGa

This is really nicely written.....

Miss-Independent BRONZE, Watertown, New York
1 article 1 photo 4 comments

Romeo And Juliet by Shakespeare:
For some, sunlight sets fire to their smoldering tempers.
Turns peevishness into passion,
Bad humor to murderous rage.

This is really good! :D

WOW. This story is really Amazing.

Griffinwing SILVER, Manchester, Michigan
Nice job. You should continue this piece, its very interesting.

annkaykay2011 DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan

"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

This is overall my favorite piece on/in Teenink. It captures the life style of the real drama of school life. I love the way the characters come to life,

Ashlynrae BRONZE, Abilene, Texas

"I didn't know I was making history,
I was just tired of giving in."
--- Rosa Parks

Great piece. Keep writing.

Spits said...
Wow. Really wow. It was an incredible story...and it packed a lot of punch. I feel like a lot of stories theses days...particularly teen stories...don't pack much punch. They don't feel nitty-gritty real. And they don't have sympathy for the...eh...ditzy or not-so-nice characters. But this story...it was real. I could FEEL the reality of it. And at the end...I cried. REALLY well done. Kudos.

ali8jane BRONZE, DeSoto, Texas

I am the author of my life. Unfortunately, I'm writing with this pen made of my own bone, it's ink my blood; and I can't erase my mistakes.

Truly touching!

GlassHeart SILVER, Black Earth, Wisconsin
pretty

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
I really loved this article. It reminded me of a situation of mine I had in middle school.

LoveLikeWoe DIAMOND, LeSueur, MN, Minnesota

Whoever laughs first has the sickest mind.

I loved it so much i read it again. Once again i cried but it is very touching. Have you ever thought of writing a book? You'd be really good at it!

E.Lee GOLD said...
E.Lee GOLD, Akron, Ohio
this is sooo amazing!

Mikayla Perry BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This Is Really Pretty.