A Wish For Her | Teen Ink

A Wish For Her MAG

By Anonymous

“Is that her?”
“What? Who?”
“Shh … here she comes.”

“Oh … her.”

We avert our eyes as she walks by. We clutch our books tightly to our chests, stare down at our sneakers, and hold our breath as she passes. Whispers follow her like shadows as she scurries up the stone stairs, through the metal doors. Lisa and I exchange looks. The bell rings in our ears, and we head inside.

“Who’s she with today?” Lisa asks at lunch.

“Toby,” I scoff, biting into my ­sandwich.

“Figures. Apparently they had a great time at Jack’s apartment last weekend.” I make a face.

“Disgusting.” Lisa laughs.

“I bet she has all sorts of diseases.”

“I bet she’s wearing his sweatshirt. The one that smells as bad as he does.”

“I bet she’s gonna be one of those girls who never goes to college and ends up on the street.”

“I bet she’s gonna be a …” I look around to make sure no teachers are listening, “whore.”

That’s her new name. It spreads like a foul disease around the school, through the hallways, passed from one lip-gloss-smeared mouth to the next. Some kids just call her “The W,” or “The H” for the stupid ones who can’t spell. It’s what she is. It’s who she is. And none of us like her. None except Toby and Mitchell and all those guys who are too dumb to see her for who she really is. We see her kissing guys in the alley after school each day, like she doesn’t even care, like she doesn’t even know.

Don’t worry, we’re gonna make her realize who she really is. We’re gonna make her feel so bad she’ll shrink like a little mouse and learn her lesson and stay away from all of them, especially Devin, who liked me all of sixth grade ’til she stole him last summer.

We isolate her. We don’t speak to her, not even when she asks what the homework for last night was. Find it out yourself, stupid. We leave notes in her locker, and we snicker as she walks by.

Have you learned your lesson yet, princess? Are you ever gonna stop wearing so much lipstick and eyeliner and skirts that are way too short? Are you ever gonna put out that cigarette or throw out those bottles? You’re 13 – what’s wrong with you? Didn’t your parents ever teach you what’s right and wrong? Half the grade hates you. Sticks and stones, you say, but soon it’ll be real. I will smash up your pretty face if I have to. I’ll break your bones. I could snap your neck over my knee.

***

I walk home from Lisa’s house, and I take the long way because I want to look at the moon and the stars. I want to cross the cornfield, because once I saw a shooting star. I have to walk through the sketchy neighborhood to get there, though, but I should be okay if I hurry.

Suddenly, I hear a man’s voice ­coming from one of the houses, the one with the shingles falling off and the rusty car in the driveway. He is yelling. I rush behind a tree, heart ­racing so loud I’m sure he can hear. Suddenly I see a familiar figure. It’s her. She and the man are yelling at each other. He lashes out at her, and I wince. I can hear the slap.

And then the door closes. She is alone, and she sits on her porch steps. And she cries. I’ve never seen her cry before. Alone, with no boys, out in the cold night, crying, crying, crying so hard she can’t breathe. Her tears make ugly black lines down her face. And suddenly, she looks up, and our eyes lock. I run.

I run past the houses and the deli and the gas station with the creepy owner, and the ice cream store where we get really great slushies. I cross the street, my heart racing, out of breath and into the lush grass of the cornfield. I collapse on the ground, my arms and legs spread apart, trying to catch my breath and hold back the tears, though I can’t understand why they’re coming.

She was so alone. So sad. She is loved by no one but those boys. And I’m not sure they even really love her.

Suddenly I look up and see something sparkle across the indigo sky, a little explosion of white like a firecracker on the Fourth. I close my eyes.

And I wish for her.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 546 comments.


bbbd said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 9:13 pm
This was rushed.

llc724 said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 6:24 pm
This was a fabulous short story!! It left me speechless! :)

on Dec. 17 2009 at 5:13 pm
Writedancelove&live GOLD, Redding, California
12 articles 2 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"Karen: If you're from Africa why are you white? Gretchen: Omg Karen, you can't just ask people why they're white."

This was really real, and very well written. 5 stars for sure.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 4:47 pm
Rain-Bow BRONZE, Mecca, California
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You have to get through the worst part, to finally get to the best part"

This is just so beautiful. Its like Magic. We all go through different things in life. And we somehow think that what happens to us is bad. Theres other worse things happening. To other people... To animals... It hurts. I hope that this brings out some sense to people. Bullies... Shit talkers... The ones who believe that they are better than anyone else. We are all the same. And there is no reason for treating someone else differently...

millz SILVER said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 4:31 pm
millz SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee
8 articles 0 photos 19 comments
This was such an amazing story!!! We never know what people go through in their personal lives. I just about started cying

Mayflower78 said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 3:57 pm
I loved this story! It is the best short story I've read in along time.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 3:39 pm
LostAngel DIAMOND, Jersey, New Jersey
65 articles 0 photos 89 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just live your life, if people don't like the way you are doing it then they can get out of it" "if you can't stand me at my worst you dont deserve me at my best"

OH MY GOSH! This story....left me speechless! I am NEVER speechless! I absolutly love this story! Please read my poems, tell my if you think they are even half as good as this right here!

on Dec. 17 2009 at 2:48 pm
wishuponastar97 BRONZE, Forked River, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
those who cant do teach and those who cant teach teach gym

this is really relevant to me becuz in some cases i am tht girl who gets the dirty looks and nasty comments... i know wat "they" say and think behind my back and man does it hurt.. the story was pretty good too =]

wildflowers said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 2:42 pm
wildflowers, Irvine, California
0 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." -Anonymous

This is so powerful.

You have such an honest gift!

on Dec. 17 2009 at 2:19 pm
othello03 SILVER, Knoxville, Tennessee
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments
oh oh oh. i have tears in my eyes! this is amazing. i have felt the exact same way -- somebody seems like a jerk but we don't know what they're really like.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 12:45 pm
xxPrincessMeganxx BRONZE, Kilmallock, Other
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you can dream it, you can do it!-Walt Disney

I really liked that piece.You're a gifted writer.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 11:52 am
sneakerfreaker423, 02860, Rhode Island
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
living would be an awfully big adventure.

this was a good story but is the chick gay for the " whore " or was it a guy?..sorry lol

Mitch SILVER said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 8:51 am
Mitch SILVER, Newcastle, California
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't do drugs, don't have unprotected sex, and don't be violent. Leave that to me.
-Eminem

Nicely written

on Dec. 15 2009 at 6:52 am
Teextormentr GOLD, Congers, New York
10 articles 6 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If your heart was broken then you'd be dead."

This was amazing.

on Dec. 6 2009 at 1:29 pm
Okay, I'll admit, at first, I was going to post a comment about how we shouldn't judge people since we only know one side of the story, but as it turns out, you already knew that;) I am quite excited about this piece and look forward to maybe reading more about it? Anyhow, great job!

stargirl237 said...
on Dec. 4 2009 at 3:17 pm
stargirl237, Hartland, Vermont
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it."-Robert Frost

"There is no excuse for not having a good excuse"

This is a really moving piece, especially at the end when you see why the girl acts that way.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 4:50 pm
LivingInABasket BRONZE, Birmingham, Other
2 articles 0 photos 10 comments
that was really moving. touching at the end where you explained the girl's behaviour.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 4:31 pm
Brilliantbecca SILVER, Clayton, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A best friend is someone whom laughs three times at a joke; once when it's told, once when you explain it and five minutes later when they finally get it."

i loved it! there's this girl at my school that has gone out with a lot of guys and i dont get why she does it. She doesnt have that many friends--mostly because all the girls are mad at her for kissing their crushes or boyfriends. i kind of think it has something to do with what's happening at home but your piece was really good. maybe the guys in your article were somehow the only nice male attention she could get and she liked feeling loved, or liked, or used--whatever

on Dec. 3 2009 at 1:59 pm
phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho
10 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I cannot live without books."

exactly. What is with this posting stories in the comment boxes?

Grace09 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 29 2009 at 5:10 pm
Grace09 BRONZE, Colorado City, Colorado
3 articles 2 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You have a heart of gold, but so does a hard boiled egg." By: I can't remember.

Deffinately an amazing piece of work.