The Poet | Teen Ink

The Poet

By BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois
BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois

There are so many people out there who will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say, 'watch me.' -unknown

She watched him closely, trying to study him. The way he put on a façade so no one could see the real him. In class he acted out, slamming the teacher and pulling out small books of matches to play with. But he changed in poetry class, like an emotional switch had been flipped from despicable to precocious. He watched the teacher talk, soaking up all the knowledge with bright, luminous eyes. Then the bell would ring and he’d bring out his bravado side and she couldn’t help but feel sick. On the streets outside of the school yard, his vulgar language could be heard, loud and clear. But, she would always know who he was.

He was a poet.

BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois

Thank you!

BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

Ah. A tale of a mast that we all wear, some a little tighter then the others. Bravo. I love this.

BookNerd35 GOLD, Herod, Illinois

Thank you!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Very sweet! I like how you gave depth to the characters and made it short yet full of deatail. Great job!

bigthinker28 SILVER, Toledo, Ohio

“Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be”- Mark Twain

You painted an intresting charecter I liked it.

RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

Short and sweet! It's so wonderful, I would love to see more depth into both of these characters in a sequel, that would make my day!