Monstrous | Teen Ink

Monstrous

liveamongthestarsdieamongthepeople GOLD, Kalamazoo, Michigan

Why I am here, I know not; where I shall go, it is useless to enquire. In the midst of myriads of the living and the dead worlds, stars, and infinity why should I be anxious of an atom?
-Lord Byron

The only thought propelling her was to run, anything to get away from the ugly monster thing, from life, reality, her mother, the world of ignorance and lies. Blurring past herself was a “home” a structure labeled to be her mental and physical tortured dwelling.

The moon was clear and full, depicting a path so brightly lit. Images sharpening and clearing with the unbearable scent of blood roses. Taking everything in, she wept. The thousand tears waiting to burst. She saw nothing and everything, focused on one thing. Tearing through dew laden grass, bare feet slicking the mud and stones. The warm chill coursing down her spine. The quiet sounds of night silenced, crickets long gone, owls distant calls fading down in time so quick. Good night said her surroundings, everything long gone to slumber deep. All that was left was the quickening breath of her own, magnified a million by the rhythmic thumping of her feet. She couldn’t outrun the lonely monster, catching on in hooded, longing looks. What was this thing?, all she knew was her devotion, the pain, the fear, the love, anger, and passion every leering look brought.

The world brought to a stop, spinning in kaleidoscope colors. A pretty lucid green caterpillar inching its way along her pinky. The feelers tickling she smiled a quivery non-depicting grin. Then he was there pulling away the fear and lies, heavy determined breath on her neck, cool; suddenly hot chills tingling down her body. The world once again set in motion to blur. She was set down against the shadows, huddled against them in the familiar forge beneath the house.

The unmistakable thud of metal against skull, the crack splitting with a scream so small yet resounding through her ears, over, again and again endless. Her eyes could not peal from this unappealing scene, held in deadly pleasure that could not appease her mind. Metallic thuds in resonance keeping in time as though a metronome.

-In the back of her mind she saw something change, something that was the difference between lie and truth, long ago learned in tactics. Shiny figures glittering eerie. Unreal-
Pounding in distant light, her mind wandering elsewhere from the portrayal. She couldn’t help but giggle against the vengeful night.

Ms.PeytonLovesHP GOLD, Rancho Cordova, California

“We are all a little weird and life is a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” - Doctor Seuss

Wow. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't have any crittisism