The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

M_IML DIAMOND said...
M_IML DIAMOND, Ganei Tikva, Other
This is such a great piece! I love how you used one overlying theme - the colors of the rainbow - to describe something. I wish I had something like this :-) 

Mary said...
This is so sweet and simple. You have so much talent! All i can say is thank you so much for sharing it!!!

Chasya BRONZE said...
Chasya BRONZE, Markham, Other

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
Maya Angelou

Very creative. I loved how you used the colours of the rainbow to tell your own little story. It was adorable.

Writer said...
this was really good and very tasteful with colors. i never read such an amazing piece

Pickles-29 said...
Pickles-29, Boise, Idaho
I liked this really straight forward and simple good job.

on Apr. 27 2011 at 12:21 am
booklover104 BRONZE, Stockton, California

I have a couple of quotes i like... \"Success is not a doorway it\'s a staircase\"
2. \"Everything happens for a reason\"
3.\"Your worth consists in what you are and not in what you have\"-Thomas Edison

awww...this is the sweetest from start to finish. I loved it, it was simple and to he point, you made you point very clear and concise! I love it!!

msp49 BRONZE said...
msp49 BRONZE, Middletown, Connecticut
This was so good!  I usually hate anything that involves love, but you were able to take small, unappreciated moments and captured their beauty.  Keep it up, this was really heartwarming!

Lillie GOLD said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 11:41 am
Lillie GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska

"My gelding was sold to me as a gentlemen. He is. Whenever we go over a fence, he insists on ladies first."
-Unknown

Maybe that's the reason for the 'ex' part.  Haha, but I feel you girl.  I have a theory that guys aren't worth it until after they're twenty-five.  Before that they are just boys with cuties.  :)

Lillie GOLD said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 11:40 am
Lillie GOLD, Omaha, Nebraska

-Unknown

That's so sweet and well written.  Without your careful choice of words it could have been clunky and unappealing.  But you pulled it off fantastically.

on Mar. 23 2011 at 11:54 am
LexieBehr BRONZE, Grimes, Iowa

Any emotion, if it is sincere, is involuntary.
Mark Twain

Your wording in your work is the best part!

love dreamer said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:32 am
im insi(red) i love !!!!!!!!!! <3<3<3

Rain777 GOLD said...
Rain777 GOLD, ?Town, Texas

Be yourself, an original is always better than a copy! :D

Creatively, beautiful.(:

SchoolCrush7 said...
I really wish my ex-boyfriend was like that!  I mean, he gave me chocolates (don't get me wrong, I love chocolates), but I wish he would've done something a lot better like what you and Mark did!

StayClassy1 SILVER, Stockton, California

"Buy me food so i know it's real"

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved it

on Mar. 14 2011 at 11:06 am
WritingAngel20 BRONZE, Ardmore, Alabama

"In order to suceed, your desire for success must be greater than your fear of failure" -Bill Cosby

Awww, that's so sweet. Nice story.

Kylee said...
Awww...so sweet. :) I wish my boyfriend was like that

PaRaNoRmAl627 GOLD, Mountainside, New Jersey

"Do what you want. If it's something you'll regret in the morning, sleep late."

so clever, so sweet, so innocent. very refreshing :) great piece, i loved it!

SuperPanda409 SILVER, State College, Pennsylvania

If this is love I don't wanna be loved.- Get Scared

‎We are made of love and all the beauty stemming from it. We are made of love and every fracture caused by the lack of it.- Sleeping At Last

that's the cutest thing i think i've ever heard.

day.dreamer. said...
Wow! this is absoublutly amazing!

mememelo said...
mememelo, Lamar, South Carolina

"

wow this is beautiful i loved how you used colors to make the story.. i just love it!!