The Colors of Love | Teen Ink

The Colors of Love MAG

Red is the color I turned when Mark Adams first kissed me on the cheek. I said I most certainly did not like him, and he said he could prove I was lying. He knew a special test. By changing colors I failed the test, and he couldn’t stop laughing.

Orange was the color of our fingertips when we finished a family-sized bag of Cheetos. We stayed up all night watching “Star Wars” movies. Mark couldn’t believe I’d never seen a George Lucas film. We didn’t eat popcorn because he had lost his popcorn-popping privileges. He didn’t tell me why; he just said it was a dark day in the Adams household.

Yellow daffodils were pushing up from the ground when he took me to the park, saying we must “celebrate spring.” He brought an enormous red kite, the kind that has a tail with ribbons. As we sat in the grass, he undid the sun-colored ribbon in my brown hair, adding it to the tail of the kite. We ran all around the park to keep our kite flying, the ribbons waving.

Green was the color of Mark’s face after we rode the biggest roller coaster in the amusement park. He’s afraid of them, but he rode it anyway to prove that he was “man enough,” I guess. When the ride was over, he dashed to the nearest trash can, emptying his stomach. So much for manhood. I couldn’t stop laughing. That is, until he said if I didn’t stop, he’d kiss me on the mouth. Barf kiss: gross!

Blue envelopes are tied up with string in a shoebox under my bed. Love letters Mark left in my locker, signed, “Your secret admirer, Mark.” I told him signing his name defeated the purpose of a secret admirer, but he said he didn’t care.

Indigo ink on the palm of his hand where he wrote “I love you.” I kissed his palm, and all of his fingers, before settling on his mouth.

Violet roses I received a week before our anniversary. We never exchanged gifts on that day. He said red ones were overdone. “Besides,” he added, “violet is the color of passion.” He waggled his eyebrows, and I laughed, hitting him lightly on the arm.

The colors of the rainbow are the ties that bring Mark and me together. Growing ever stronger, they portray our love.

Crystalina said...
i loved it! it was very creative

Pocketnerd said...
LOVED IT!!!!!! The simplicity of it makes this story amazing!!!! It makes me want to find someone to have that type of bond with. :)

Emuhlee said...
That was very cute. I really like the idea of using colors to explain love. Great job!

Excellent!!! Loved it! Keep writing

WOW! I really liked it! I think it's very creative too!

amazing!! really and it all moves together

Kallysem said...
I really liked this piece. It was amazing and I felt almost jealous of the narrator and Mark's relationship! Haha! Very good writing I really enjoyed it.

Mardzilla said...
This is a very nice one.

jesse061 said...
I really thought this was an innovative piece of writing tying in the joys of love and the colors of the rainbow. However, (at first) I had a hard time discerning how one paragraph tied to the next. Maybe if you gave a brief intro before jumping into the representations of each color of the rainbow, that would be nice. Or change the title to help explain what your writing piece is about. A title such as (just off the top of my head now) "The Colors of the Rainbow are also The Colors of Love". After reading a couple more times, I understood how everything related in this piece. I hope this was good criticism. Keep up the good work! This writing piece does show exceptional talent in writing, so don't be discouraged. You have a bright future as a writer.

I really liked this story!

it's GREAT!

Vicki said...
It is very sweet. And awesome at how all the colors got put in to match everything...

M.C. Cantara said...
This reminds me so much of my friend and I. We're not together, but it's this fantasy that plays in my mind a lot. This is such a sweet story. Beautiful, too.

Clare said...
WOW! That is amazing! I was reading thinking, why couldn't I have written something like that! All i can say is WOW! Keep writing!! xx

Robin said...
I love it. It is so sweet and unique. It makes me see hope in love after all. LOL.

tinydancer said...
I really enjoyed this story. It was nice to see them as best friends and in love, very beautiful and poetic. Thank you for sharing this with people.

BeccaBoo said...
this was a beautiful story(:

I love this story it's beautiful! The way you tie colors to love is simply amazing. :)

swimtotheend said...
I first read this in the print magazine, and I loved it then. I have now read it again, and I still love it! =] I'm glad I can take this chance to compliment you on this great piece of writing!

ren3494 said...
Wow! That is absolutely AMAZING! Keep writing. I'm sure everyone wants to read more!

miss.bliss1 said...
WOW! That was so sweet...no wonder why this got published in Teen Inks magazeen. You are a wonderfull writer Milan. Please write another story and submit it here..so I can read it!