Chalkboard Scribbles | Teen Ink

Chalkboard Scribbles MAG

Scribbles on the chalkboard. That’s all that was really there, some shapes probably, numbers and some math symbols. He knew them all – not like it was a foreign language. It was just kind of pointless. It wasn’t even a chalkboard; it was a whiteboard. But chalkboards were more poetic. It flowed better, anyway. He let that thought swirl around his mind for a bit. Sort of like the mysterious liquid they gave you instead of wine on Thanksgiving when you were a kid.

Well not really, especially since he knew what the liquid was (sparkling cider) and thoughts don’t swirl. At least they didn’t for him. They just hung there, more like old rusty thumbtacks that hold up papers for a few days then pop out of the corkboard. Yeah, sort of like that. He let his thoughts drift. Considering they were rusty thumbtacks that were bound to pop anyway, he sort of let them hang for a bit then sink away somewhere. Oblivion perhaps.

Suddenly a hand touched his shoulder, he was half pulled out of his thoughts, staring at the whiteboard; he realized he hadn’t blinked in far too long. His eyes were watering.

“Zack, I would appreciate it if you’d pay attention,” the owner of the hand hissed. Oh yeah. Math. That’s right. Some variation of some useless formula was what the symbols and scribbles on the whiteboard were. He nodded, slightly, as if he didn’t really mean it. Because he didn’t mean it at all.

His mind was elsewhere, preoccupied with words, not numbers. Although he now seemed enraptured by the strange markings on the board, he didn’t actually care. He mentally laughed at his own thoughts, if he laughed in the physical sense, people would stare at him, probably snicker behind his back at some untold joke. Again, not that he cared, it was just kind of annoying, you know? No, you probably don’t.

He let his mind make the popping of rusty thumbtacks its priority. Did they make a sound? He’d have to figure it out, do some sort of scientific report on it or something. Win a Nobel Prize for it. What a clever little boy. No more snickering behind his back. He laughed, this time physically. Luckily the sound was drowned out by the fourth bell, the one that meant lunch. He snagged his iPod from his messenger bag and trotted, yeah, like a horse, off to the lunch room.

WritesforJesus SILVER, Strongsville, Ohio
I love this,I think a lot of people on here can relate to it considering Math and English/writing are opposite sides of the brain lol Great job!

yourworstnightmare BRONZE, Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. (Teddy Roosevelt)

I could relate to this pretty well...except I actually like math class so I try not to space out there. I'd be spacing out in history or geography. But still, amazing job!

Keep writing! <3

Detective-C BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida

"Wait! It's morning in the Himalayas!"

Wow. It leaves me sort of speechless. If I were to write about the exact same thing it wouldn't have been so lenghty or interesting. You have real talent, I wish I could write like you

LieutenantCommanderAudridLavi SILVER, San Jose, California

The ascent beckons as the descent beckoned.

I love the way he describes his thoughts. It gives a great image!

PerfectMGymnast DIAMOND, Parker, Colorado

"If you don't leap you'lll never know what it's like to fly"

This is very relatable and very well written!! Also, if you get the chance could you check out some of my poetry such as A Mirror Image and The sinner confession (and comment and rate them????) it would be greatly appreciated! THANKS! And keep writing because your amazing at it! :)

writerssoul said...
writerssoul, One, Delaware
awesome job! reminds me of myself in math class

asofnow GOLD said...
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

thats so good!!!

Sumayah_Arcusa BRONZE, Bowie, Maryland

Nice guys finish last.

Hello again!!! If you have time can you look at my work?

Sumayah_Arcusa BRONZE, Bowie, Maryland

Nice guys finish last.

What's up girl? Nice job... I do that all the time in algebra. Waiting desprately for the bell to ring...

ooooo said...
ooooo, West, Alabama
Nice--I like the thoughts on how the contents of the mind can work with so many metaphors and similes. The mind is difficult, yet easy, to typify.

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas
      Good job.

LunaLives GOLD said...
LunaLives GOLD, South Bend, Indiana

Because I can!-Me "Life is a choice and death is a decision"-Lil Wayne

Reminds me of myself

Chitra.I PLATINUM, Dubai, Other

Everything makes sense if you think too much about it.

The definition of daydreaming. =) Good work.

grasslova GOLD said...
grasslova GOLD, Highland, Utah

When you learn to die, you learn to live - Morrie

I would have to agree with that. It's stream of consciousness--unchecked thoughts, a conscious, or semi-conscious dream. I saw colors when I read it.

marshmellow.jacket BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
1 article 1 photo 11 comments

I am not afraid of storms, I am learning to sail my own ship -Louisa May Alcott
I never thought of Snoopy as my pet, more like my friend -Charlie Brown

Exactly, like in math, you just see a bunch of made-up numbers and figures swirling in the air that we pray we will all understand and get an award from it.

shoelessjoe GOLD, Highland, Michigan

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when ther are footsteps on the moon"
"Instead of waiting for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain"
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

yeah i think so too, i mean in math i feel the same way my thoughts dont swirl they just hang there and i let my self get taken by my own thinking

1 article 1 photo 11 comments

I really enjoyed this piece because I can relate to it. The kids conflicting struggles between math and what people think, how he doesn't care but takes the time to think about it. beautiful.

nefariouslyme, Richland, Michigan
Great use of sarcasm there. I love Zack's tone of voice. It really reminds of a lot of high schoolers.

WhiteShadows said...
WhiteShadows, Ocala, Florida

You've gotta work like you don't need the money/love like you'll never be hurt/
Sing like no one is listening/ and live like it's heaven on Earth.-Anonymous

OMG! I loved that. It was well-written but as if Zack himself wrote and not someone pretending to be Zack. I wish I could write like that!!

madlyrad BRONZE, Goodyear, Arizona
I agree with the others- it flows perfectly and has the perfect amount of humor and sense of reality and a sense of...daydreaming. i can really relate to Zack