A Moment of Peace in Music | Teen Ink

A Moment of Peace in Music

December 10, 2020
By Lizbiz237 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Lizbiz237 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great" -Mark Twain


She would sit down next to the tree and look out across her town. The glistening buildings with her fellow humans were there, right in front of her. This sight, from this hilltop, alone, was the most tranquil thing she could think of. She had just sat down all alone, with her water bottle and walkman. Just get away from the overwhelming face of reality. To dream for a minute, to think. Tears were already forming in her eyes as she sat there, with the wind softly blowing. The solitary tree next to her seemed to be reaching out. Nope, there was no God above. It couldn’t be true. It was scary. However ironic it may seem, it was easier to think about that for now. Growing bored, she would reach out to her faithfull walkman and press the play button. Slowly, wave after wave of the music reached her. She wanted to belt out all the words, but was too exhausted. She fell onto her side and lay there, with her walkman, and her view, and her dreams. The tears came again. They were warm on her face, then dried where they had left their path. It felt good to cry again. It was the feeling of horror that brought upon everything else. Unbearable agony when she would think about everything that was in this world. Then this feeling of hope, strange and fleeting, rolled in with fear and anticipation. It would come in waves, and she would shiver as the song came to swell into the crescendo. Wiping the tears of her face, she would fall asleep there, under that tree curled up; only be woken up the next morning by the harsh cry of a crow.


The author's comments:

This was a very personal piece for me, hopefully more of what I will be writing in the future. Music is very special to me and I tried to emphasize this here. Thank you for anybody who reads this and I hope you can relate.