Always Hopeful | Teen Ink

Always Hopeful MAG

Sixteen days. That was all that was left until I would see my father. He had gone into re-hab 10 days ago for alcohol and drug abuse. Hopefully this time it would work. But of course, I wished that every time. Although he had done a lot to my mother and me, I still loved him very much. I couldn't wait until he got back, that way my mother would start to look as if she was among the living again. I acted as her slave when she was like this. Only I didn't mind that much because I knew how she felt. I had acted that way the first few times that my father had gone into the re-hab center, too. It was a strange and eerie feeling, like you were living under water, just floating along, having no control over your actions. However, by now, I had gotten over that, with the realization that my father would always be an alcoholic. Even though there was always a little glimmer of hope that he would heal. Though Mom was a different story. She believed that this time was it and that he would come through this time, always this time. I felt bad for my mother, always so dependent and trusting of my father. She loved my father so much.

Suddenly I heard my mother's shrill voice singing out my name. She asked me to come downstairs for a minute. I thought she sounded particularly happy today. Why, I didn't know.

"What?" I asked, coming downstairs.

"Well..." she began slowly looking at me. I suspected something was up. "Your birthday is pretty soon and..."

"So?" I said cutting in. I didn't like birthdays at all, especially when I knew my dad was sitting in re-hab while I was partying. It just didn't feel right.

"So... I thought you'd like to have some friends over or something." I was surprised how enthused she sounded. I wondered why. To make her happy I said that it would be all right.

"Oh, great!" she exclaimed. "We can pick up some things tomorrow, after school." She began jotting ideas on a piece of paper.

"Now, let's see...cups, plates, hmmm..." I could see her mind wondering off, forgetting I was there.

"It will be wonderful, won't it!" she suddenly said, hope flooding her eyes.

"Yes, Mom, I think it will," I said, wondering if she just meant my party. "Yes, it will be great," I said again trying to convince myself that maybe this time it would be wonderful. Whatever it was. n

i love this !

Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi

"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

You are an excellent writer! The only problem I have is that you leave me hanging there. Why did the mom plan the birthday party? Will the dad come back ready to be sober?

Apollo26 said...
Apollo26, Abington, Massachusetts
That was really good. It was kinda short though. Maybe you could ake a sequel or something. Anyways, great job, really gos story!