The Library Monster | Teen Ink

The Library Monster

By jesuslover94 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
jesuslover94 BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

"Never say no" Said by The Rock in "The Gameplan"

I was never one to believe in monsters. I mean, everyone’s heard spooky stories with monsters in them, but there just stories, right? Monsters aren’t real, correct? Wrong.

It all started on a hot and boring June day. Since there wasn’t anything on TV and all my friends were busy, I decided to ride my bike to the Omaha Public Library and check out a book to read. I had one book to return and it was called Library Monster.
The book was about a monster that had long, curly, purple, horns, three feet long, sharp black claws and thick, slick, stringy fur. In addition the monster was 10 ft tall! How crazy is that? Anyway the story goes, that for nine years the monster was too weak and had to stay in hiding. But on the tenth year he has stored up enough strength to go after a special book. The monster pursued this book because it had the ability to trap him inside it forever, yet he never succeeded in destroying the cursed book. I thought the whole story was pretty crazy. What was also strange about the book was its category. Instead of being under fantasy, it was labeled as nonfiction.
As I walked through the doors of the Florence Branch Library Ms. Jo Ann, the librarian, stared at me in disbelief.
“What’s wrong?” I asked, completely bewildered.
“It’s June 1st!” she exclaimed.
“Um… so?” I didn’t see the big deal; I mean it’s summer I get it. But nothing happens on June 1st.
“Ana!” she exclaimed. “Today is the day the library monster comes out!”
“What do you mean,” I asked.
“Every 10 years on June 1st the library monster comes out of hiding, goes on a rampage, and tries to destroy a charmed book.”
“If that is true, then why are you here?” I asked.
“Well for one it’s my job as a librarian,” she confessed. “Two, I’m to warn anyone who comes to the library.”
“Ms. Jo Ann,” I said calmly, “you have been reading too much fantasy junk. There is no such thing as a…” CRASH!
We whirled around as a 10 ft monster ran right through the wall. My breath caught short. Slowly my eyes lowered to the book in my hands. The picture on the book was exactly the same as the monster in front of me. I looked over at Ms. Jo Ann.
“The Library Monster!” she screamed. Her face turned pale and she fainted. I turned around and accelerated right out the door with the creature at my heels. I got outside, sprang on my bike and took off. I dared a glance over my shoulder. The Library Monster was coming up on me, fast. His beady black eyes glaring at me with hatred as he gnashed his foaming yellow teeth at me.
I pedaled with all my strength up the hill, and onto Morman Bridge Road, to St. Philip Neri School. No one was there except for the principal, Mr. Cuva. He was just walking up to his car when he looked up and spotted me.
“Why hello, how’s your summer going?” he asked.
“Sorry Mr. Cuva can’t talk right now, being chased,” as I huffed by on my bike.
“By what?” he asked as he turned around. That’s when he spotted the Library Monster barreling head on. I glanced back one last time to see Mr. Cuva dive into his car at the last second.
I shifted gears and headed back for the library. When I looked over my shoulder I could just barely see the monster still chasing me. I reached the Library and dashed inside.
Ms. Jo Ann was speaking to the library manager.
“Where’s the monster?” the library manager asked.
“He’s coming,” I answered. “Is there any way to stop him?”
“Well,” said the manager, “we can trap him in a book called Library Monster: unfortunately it’s checked out.”
“That’s the book I came to return!” I exclaimed. “It’s right here! That’s why he chased me the whole time; he wanted to destroy this book!”
As I spoke the last word, the Library Monster crashed through the door. Hurriedly, I clumsily flipped through the book to a blank page. Suddenly, there was a bright, blinding light and the monster began to be sucked directly into the book. He clawed frantically for a hold, but there was no escape.
“NO!” he roared as he was pulled into the blank page. As the blinding light dimmed, I opened my eyes and the room was back to normal, as if nothing had ever happened.
“Wow... I sure hope he doesn’t get out again!” I whispered. And you know what? He never did.

speechguy24 said...
Your piece was awesome i like the use of names!