Northern Arizona University | Teen Ink

Northern Arizona University MAG

By Anonymous

     Flagstaff, AZ: A few months back, a friend and I thought it would be a great idea to visit some of our friends who are freshmen at Northern Arizona University. Of course, when we planned the trip, we did not think we would be looking around the campus and getting an idea of what NAU had to offer, however, as soon as we got there, that changed.

Now, in the middle of my junior year, I realize I need to start thinking about what schools I will be applying to next fall. After looking at what some colleges have to offer, I am considering NAU as one of my top choices.

NAU has quite possibly one of the most beautiful atmospheres I have ever seen. If you love being outdoors as I do, then this school is definitely a great place to keep in mind. Unlike some universities, NAU has a smaller campus, which really helps because dorms are centrally located.

Do you like to eat? Well, then the union is the place to be. With more than 15 restaurants, it is quite the hot spot with students. Tired of being at school all day? Well, take a break and go into Flagstaff. The center of town is a mere five minutes’ walk.

The campus itself has 738 acres, including 24 residential buildings. Not only is the campus amazing, but its academic and athletic programs are as well. There are more than 95 academic programs you can enroll in (as well as 47 master’s degrees and eight doctoral programs). From American political studies to visual communications, there is bound to be a major for you. The average class size is 27 students, with a total of 710 full-time faculty. The average high school GPA of this year’s freshmen is 3.4.

If academics are not enough to get you excited, then I insist you look into NAU’s athletics. There are 12 sports, and since the school is located at a high altitude, there is even a center that helps you train safely. It’s the same center athletes used to train for the Olympics.

A year at NAU for an in-state student costs $11,488, which includes room and board, transportation, tuition, and personal needs costs. For an out-of-state student it costs $21,322. Nearly half the students receive some form of financial aid.

For more information go to www.nau.edu.