Follow Your Dreams | Teen Ink

Follow Your Dreams

By demirodriguez BRONZE, Granbury, Texas
demirodriguez BRONZE, Granbury, Texas

In my younger and uneducated years I told myself “I want to help people when I grow up” and the thoughts have been turned over in my mind for a decade. I always had an interest in being a helping hand. It sent chills up my arms to know that one person’s life could be saved with the help I could provide. Too young to actually understand what career I wanted to chase, but too old to remember wishing out loud for the opportunity to give someone the care they needed in order to have a “tomorrow”.

As years passed by It didn’t take long for me to decide that I wanted to stick to what my heart had already been set on from the very beginning. When time came to sign up for classes that would benefit me in college, Medical courses never fell too far. Becoming a nurse and working in the Medical Field was a dream waiting to come true. Being familiar with one in the Nursing Program already, I felt as if I could already have one foot in the door.

Remembering the exact conversation that was held in the Nursing Clinic of Shena Tidwell ---whom was a family friend that always spoke on behalf of her job---I can still vision the expression on her face when I told her “I want to be a nurse just like you when I get through with school”. Mrs. Tidwell had been saving lives for years now. I wondered if she ever truly knew how many people were extremely grateful to have a hero like her. Being a nurse came naturally, she had the desire and motivation that it took to be up day and night to care for people that were unable to take care for themselves. She never takes life for granted because she’s seen lives being takin right before her eyes. The love she has for her patients and the drive she has to cure them is unstoppable. I always told myself “if I ever live in her shoes I would do all the amazing things nurses do” after all the different stories would be told.

Spending the day in her office, I asked her “where do I start” in order to put my dreams in place? It didn’t take long for my ears to fill with all the ideas and directions that I needed to do. Knowing that I’m only a High School student, Mrs. Tidwell helped me look up courses I could take before attending college. Clearly I heard her say “Anatomy and Physiology is available in the High School” which would lead me in the right direction. Not very familiar about that course, she help me understand that that would give me all the basic biology and terms I need to know about the body. Mrs. Tidwell looked strictly on what would help me succeed the fastest. Her intentions were to make it my goal to take on courses that were going to benefit me sooner rather than later. My hopes were shot up tremendously by this time.

Looking back I was amazed I still had the desire to help cure others. Never did I expect to still have the same passion for it. I have definitely been inspired by my school courses, Shena Tidwell, and my own heart. Spending the day in the Nursing Clinic on a random afternoon was one of the best life goal decision I could’ve made. It was an outstanding opportunity to see for myself what it would be like to be in the Medical Field for a day. I'll forever be thankful for the help that I was provided to help me succeed my goals for the future. I hope to one day become the Hero that I've always been destined to be.