Purple | Teen Ink

Purple MAG

By Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York

My shoes are purple. Not because I want to stand out, but because then I am not taken too seriously. This is necessary since I am very shy in public, and few classmates have seen me smile. My shoes are purple and shiny, with pink stripes running along the sides. Not because I have no taste, but because they make me laugh.

This year I am in Drama class. I rarely speak in public. My acting is an embarrassment. But I have watched other classes perform, and they always make me smile. I want to be with them, up on stage in my shiny purple shoes, laughing at myself. And maybe someday I will learn to speak in public. Maybe I will ­become an actor. But for now I will just get comfortable. On the stage under the heat of the spotlights with my purple shoes shining, I will smile.

I know that I will do well in Drama class. I always do well. But still, I take nothing for granted. I start warily, unsmiling, in my bright purple shoes with the pink stripes. Then slowly and steadily, I build up my skills, my confidence, my laughter. I know it will all work out in the end. So I might as well enjoy myself.

I have many hobbies, and some of them even interest me. I have, at different stages of my life, played the trumpet, the violin, the piano; I have played soccer, basketball, tennis; I have made movies, written stories, and built small machines that amuse me with their mindless antics. I have traveled widely, both in and out of the country. I have slept in the woods, sung songs around a campfire, and paddled a canoe.

I still have no fixed interests. That is why my shoes used to be blue, then orange, and are now purple. But I am fixed upon doing my best, and my inward laughter has never ceased.

Padfoot507 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
-Albus Dumbledore

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle,
Life is a maze, and love is a ridde."
-Lenka

Wow Prom, a really great essay. I like how it just lets us know about you without giving too much or making it boring. Nice job!

Thanks for reading it.  I hate how much they edit things for the magazine.  Anyway, this was originally my college application essay but I decided not to use it.  It wasn't for any particular prompt.  My actual college essay was 'I Break Things,' which you can find by clicking my username.  Enjoy your day.

olamide BRONZE said...
on Dec. 27 2011 at 4:03 am
olamide BRONZE, Nassau, Other

"If I really want something, the world will make way for me to get it"
"In life there are no make up exams"

I love your essay. I just wanted to find out if it was for college and if it is what prompt are you answering?

AshleyWasInvisible PLATINUM, Chester, West Virginia

"Everybody's beautiful to somebody" - Violet Rose

I really love this piece.(: I can relate to it because I'm shy too, and I hate that people don't see all there is to me. But I think it's cool that you stepped out and did the drama thing. I wouldn't be brave enough.But my shoes are purple too. (: lol

pinkowl BRONZE said...
pinkowl BRONZE, Tyrone, Pennsylvania

Jeremiah 29:11

i love this. it is so unique and about a simple item like shoes! i also hate talking infront of others, so it is very relateable! (:

on Dec. 10 2011 at 9:07 am
ZohaBahir BRONZE, Karachi, Other

Even blood of blood seem to strike no resemblance until the hands and heart are locked up in stiff chains of adversity.

:) good one!

Thank you.   It is indeed a true story.  My shoes are purple on this very day!  :)

Savannalore SILVER, North Branch, South Dakota

Art is all about mistakes and knowing which ones to keep.

This is really catching! Is all this a true story?I really loved it and can see why it got an Editor's Choice:) I love the title too:)