Are CO2 emissions from factories negatively affecting the environment? | Teen Ink

Are CO2 emissions from factories negatively affecting the environment?

By khan_ibrahim BRONZE, Lahore, Other
khan_ibrahim BRONZE, Lahore, Other

Introduction w/in-text citation:

The world around us is created on the principle of balance. Biodiversity is the variety of life
found on earth. It covers all the aspects related to the subject from creatures living on land to the species living under water and the tremendous detail in their individual genre. In order to
preserve its composure the external human influence needs to be checked. Biodiversity loss
describes the decline in the number, genetic variability, and variety of species, and the biological communities in a given area (World Health Organization, 2015). This loss in the variety of life can lead to a breakdown in the functioning of the ecosystem where decline has happened. Biodiversity loss can have significant direct human health impacts if ecosystem services are no longer adequate to meet social needs. Additionally, biological diversity of microorganisms, flora and fauna provides extensive benefits for biological, health, and pharmacological sciences. Man has made the ecosystem vulnerable as its actions are causing thinning of the ozone layer. The greenhouse gases are building up in our atmosphere are deteriorating weather patterns which leads to the global warming (Appannagari, 2017). We cannot deny the fact that our actions are responsible for all the plethora of impacts that are causing earths temperature to rise. Out of the total CO2 emissions, about 26 per cent of total energy consumption and 30 per cent of CO2 emission every year are a consequence of residents’ lifestyles, and the economic activities to support these demands (Wei et al, 2007). According to the Friedman, "Climate change deniers are like the person who goes to the doctor for a diagnosis and when the doctor tells him, if you dont stop smoking there is a 90 percent chance you will die from lung cancer, the patient replies, Oh! Doctor you mean you are not 100 percent sure? Then I will keep on smoking."

Research Aims:

 Raise awareness about the issue due to limited public knowledge of its sensitivity.
 Explore factors influencing biodiversity and understand the interconnectedness of our ecosystem with human life.
 Contribute to governmental and NGO efforts by providing insights for implementing measures to ensure environmental safety.

Methodology:

I will be conducting both primary and secondary research for my study. The secondary research will involve reviewing articles from reputable authors and major organizations. Additionally, I plan to conduct primary research in my local community by administering surveys and investigating public opinions on the topic.

Causes: 

CO2 emissions from factories play a significant role in damaging our environment. Up to two-thirds of the world's carbon emissions originate from factories, a matter of great concern. Air pollution results from the release of toxic gases, such as carbon dioxide or, worse, methane, which can absorb solar radiation, directly impacting the planet's temperature. Water pollution is caused by the illegal dumping of toxic waste, including chemicals, gases, heavy metals, or radioactive materials by these manufacturing companies, leading to the destruction of marine life. The planet's population is rapidly increasing, and to meet the demands of such a vast audience, factories must increase their production of goods, requiring more energy. To fulfill this demand, energy is obtained through sources such as electricity, coal, gas, and solar power. Purchased energy becomes a source of emissions for manufacturing facilities. Emissions occur when electricity powers various machinery like water heaters and HVAC equipment. These are major contributors to emissions from factories. However, there are indirect sources, such as employees driving to work or traveling by plane for business opportunities, which contribute to the emissions produced by the company (Burton, 2020).

Consequences:

Emissions from factories carry numerous consequences for both humans and animals. The rise in sea levels, increased environmental temperatures, and the potential extinction of endangered animal species are among the significant outcomes. The elevated atmospheric temperature contributes to heightened occurrences of tsunamis, typhoons, hurricanes, melting ice caps, floods, and other natural calamities, highlighting the far-reaching impact of factory emissions. While air is essential for life, an atmosphere saturated with harmful substances poses major health risks, including respiratory illnesses, lung cancer, heart disease, and various chronic conditions. These risks have prompted many workplace workers to pursue litigation against their employers, seeking to preserve their right to a healthy life (Burton, 2020).

National Perspective:

Similar to any developed country heavily relying on its industrial sector, Pakistan, too, depends on it crucially for development and economic growth. However, the industrial sector in Pakistan lacks sophisticated technologies for production and treating its waste, resulting in environmental imbalance and contributing to global warming. The use of non-renewable energy sources, such as coal, natural gas, and oil in Pakistan, has a detrimental impact on environmental degradation. The high initial costs associated with renewable energy development discourage developing countries from investing in these sustainable sources. As economic growth increases, there is a corresponding need to expand the industrial sector, inevitably leading to a rise in carbon emissions from factories. In 2018 alone, industrial activities and the use of fossil fuels contributed to 211 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, posing harm to the environment and the well-being of citizens (Mahmood, 2019).

Global Perspective:

The two leading countries in the world are China and the USA; achieving such a position requires a robust economy that prospers in various economic sectors. The industrial sector plays a pivotal role in the development of these countries, making them leading superpowers. Given their substantial populations, it becomes imperative to meet the needs of the people, necessitating a strong industrial sector.

In China, the manufacturing industry plays a vital role in the economic growth of the country. With the increasing population, China's manufacturing CO2 emissions have surged from 1.91 billion tons in 1995 to 6.25 billion tons in 2015, showing an annual growth rate of 6%. Ferrous metal smelting and rolling stand out as the largest sources of carbon dioxide emissions. The impact of industrial activities is the most significant factor contributing to carbon emissions in China, solidifying its position as the world's largest CO2 emitter (Liu, 2019).

The USA follows closely behind China as the second-largest CO2 emitter globally. A superpower like the USA must have a robust industrial sector, contributing a staggering 11% to the global total. If these industrialized nations, as superpowers and developed countries, face such environmental challenges, one can only imagine the more adverse conditions in third-world or underdeveloped countries. These nations lack the strong infrastructure and developed mechanisms found in leading countries (Liu, 2019).

Local Perspective:

Not many people are aware of this issue, which can be very dangerous for the planet and its inhabitants. Many perceive it as a common problem because they lack awareness of the long-term issues arising from carbon emissions. Initially, it might seem harmless, as there are no immediate changes visible in our environment. However, it is crucial to recognize that these changes occur gradually, affecting not only our generation but potentially impacting future generations. As responsible citizens, it is our duty to pass on a healthy planet to the next generation, ensuring that they can lead healthy lives on a safe planet. Awareness and action are essential for addressing this issue and creating a sustainable and secure environment for the well-being of our community and those to come.

Course of Action:

Pakistan is actively adopting measures to address global warming issues. The government is making efforts to raise awareness among residents, encouraging them to assess their actions and adopt lifestyles that ensure a healthier planet overall. These measures include promoting electric or environmentally friendly energy sources for vehicles, such as hybrid cars and electric motorcycles. Additionally, solar energy is being promoted at both industrial and domestic levels to facilitate a healthier living environment (Latif, 2021).

China, as the world's largest CO2 emitter responsible for 27% of the planet's total carbon emissions, is taking significant steps to reduce its carbon footprint. The country has committed to cutting emissions by decreasing coal usage and investing in renewable energy. China plans to increase the use of solar and wind power generators, along with expanding forest coverage. Collaborating with the USA, both superpowers have pledged to reduce carbon emissions, jointly contributing to almost 38% of the world's carbon footprint. The USA is committed to reducing carbon emissions through the use of renewable energy and implementing solutions to mitigate the impact of carbon emissions globally (Maizland, 2021).

To address the alarming concerns associated with global warming, it is crucial to educate more people. Governments should organize special events where speakers can enlighten citizens about this critical matter. Promoting bicycle usage to reduce carbon emissions from gas-powered vehicles is advocated for a clean and green environment. Not only is it an eco-friendly alternative, but it also promotes exercise and a healthy lifestyle. The adoption of solar energy by individuals is encouraged, considering its potential as a clean and sustainable power source.

Various organizations, including the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the Latin American Energy Organization (OLADE), actively participate in making the world a safer place. These organizations have implemented different policies and actions, such as reducing air travel, promoting carpooling among employees, establishing sustainable procurement policies, and increasing waste collection and recycling. All these efforts contribute to the goal of climate neutrality and a cleaner Earth (IISD, 2019).

Defense:

Arguing for a complete shift to renewable energy is easier said than done. Numerous challenges exist in generating power in large quantities from renewable sources compared to traditional forms of energy like fossil fuels, which can produce substantial amounts of electricity. This implies that nonrenewable sources cannot be solely relied upon to power an entire country. Renewable energy also faces issues of reliability. For instance, if there is not enough sunlight, solar power generation would decrease, producing little to no electricity at night. Additionally, there is the significant initial cost, making renewable energy relatively more expensive than nonrenewable sources. While renewable energy may be a more environmentally friendly option in terms of emissions compared to fossil fuels, it is not entirely free from pollution. The manufacturing of renewable energy products requires nonrenewable sources, which, in turn, emit greenhouse gases or particulates such as carbon dioxide or methane (Advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy, 2021).

Comparison of Causes and Consequences:

Certain phenomena demand attention, such as the increase in population leading to a rise in automobile numbers. If these automobiles utilize renewable energy sources, they contribute to creating a safer environment. However, if they rely on nonrenewable sources, they become culprits in emitting CO2. Similarly, industrialization results in the generation of solid waste in seawater. If these wastes are not properly treated, they become responsible for the loss of marine life and contribute to ecosystem degradation. This underscores the importance of countries worldwide taking proactive measures to address these issues before it becomes too late.

Evaluation of Sources:

In my opinion, the citations I have used are reliable and credible, as they come from notable authors and reputable web pages. The articles I have referenced are fact-based and provide detailed information on every aspect of my topic. These sources significantly influenced a shift in my perspective towards these topics, enabling me to examine them with a balanced view. This approach proved valuable in conducting thorough research.

Conclusion:

The research question, "Are CO2 emissions from factories negatively affecting the environment?" has been conclusively answered in the affirmative based on my investigative research. The evidence presented in my study supports the assertion that CO2 emissions, particularly from factories and manufacturing industries utilizing non-renewable energy sources and techniques, play a significant and harmful role in environmental degradation. This research underscores the urgency of addressing and mitigating the adverse impacts of carbon emissions on our precious planet.

Personal Reflection:

This research endeavor has contributed to my personal growth, making me a more productive individual. It has enabled me to share valuable insights with my society, with the aim of benefiting future generations. Through this journey, I have developed a heightened appreciation for our precious planet, often taken for granted. I am now deeply concerned about the state of our environment and its impact on our lives. Overall, this process has transformed me into a more refined person, both academically and personally.

Bibliography:

Advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy. (2021).  Retrieved from Conserve Energy Future: conserve-energy-future.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-renewable-energy.php

Burton, L. (2020, March 30). What Contributes To Carbon Footprint In Manufacturing? Retrieved from Resource Temarry: resource.temarry.com/blog/what-contributes-to-carbon-footprint-in-manufacturing

IISD. (2019, January 19). 15 International Organizations Commit to Climate Neutrality. Retrieved from IISD: sdg.iisd.org/news/15-international-organizations-commit-to-climate-neutrality/#:~:text=Participating%20international%20organizations%20include%20the,Paralympic%20Committee%20(IPC)%2C%20the

Latif, A. (2021, June 4). asia-pacific. Retrieved from AA: aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/pakistan-s-fight-to-reverse-climate-change-gains-
recognition/2263517#:~:text=Pakistan%20has%20recently%20launched%20an,covering%20afforestation%20and%20biodiversity%20conservation.

Liu, J. Y. (2019, January 4). Analysis of CO2 emissions in China’s manufacturing industry based on extended logarithmic mean division index decomposition. Sustainability, pp. 1-28.

Mahmood, Q. S. (2019, March 18). Chemical pollutants from an industrial estate in Pakistan: a threat to environmental sustainability. Retrieved from Springer Link:
link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13201-019-0920-1

Maizland, L. (2021, May 19). backgrounder. Retrieved from CFR:
cfr.org/backgrounder/china-climate-change-policies-environmental-
degradation#:~:text=China%20is%20the%20world's%20top,and%20invest%20in%20renewable%20energy.

Rafferty, J. P. (2021). Biodiversity loss. Retrieved from Britannica.com:
britannica.com/science/biodiversity-loss

World Health Organization. (2015, June 3). Biodiversity and Health. Retrieved from who.int:
who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/biodiversity-and-health

Appannagari, R. R. (2017). Environmental pollution causes and consequences: a study. North Asian International Research Journal of Social Science and Humanities, 3(8), 151-161.

Friedman, T. L. (2008). Hot, Flat and Crowded. New York: Douglas and Mclntyre Ltd.

Wei, Y. M., Liu, L. C., Fan, Y., & Wu, G. (2007). The impact of lifestyle on energy use and CO2 emission: An empirical analysis of China's residents. Energy policy, 35(1), 247-257 

Hey, I'm Ibrahim Khan, excited to share my insights in this article about CO2 emissions. Passionate about environmental issues, I've delved into the complexities of factory emissions to raise awareness. As a student and sustainability advocate, I believe understanding challenges is key to finding solutions. This article is my contribution to the ongoing dialogue on environmental conservation. Connect with me via email at ik1685155@gmail.com or on Instagram @callmebrhm. Let's make a difference together!