Why are many young people keen on second-hand living? | Teen Ink

Why are many young people keen on second-hand living?

June 7, 2023
By Anonymous

It is not surprising that young people aged between 18 and 34 are more enthusiastic about the second-hand economy. They are the main force of the internet and live in an internet environment, making them more receptive to new things, new patterns, and new ways of playing. With the promotion of algorithms, second-hand e-commerce platforms at present can identify more accurately users and goods when compared with the offline flea markets. The higher matching efficiency enables young people to make more versatile and cost-effective choices. But why do young people, with higher consumption levels and stronger purchasing power, still prefer to purchase second-hand goods?

This can be attributed to several reasons. On the one hand, a high consumption level does not necessarily mean that young people spend money more freely. Instead, the current consumption concept of many young people is to save money when appropriate and spend money where it matters. For products that have a short usage period or a fast update cycle, it is better to buy second-hand ones at a lower price on second-hand e-commerce platforms instead of buying new ones at a high price.

On the other hand, the current methods of playing in second-hand economy have already surpassed the model of traditional offline flea market. They can trade, exchange, and also have certain social attributes. What’s more, on the second-hand trading platforms, there are not only various idle products but also all sorts of services. Buyers and sellers are able to realize matching transactions with the help of precise matching through big data. Therefore, it is natural for the second-hand economy is sought after by young people.


The author's comments:

It is not surprising that young people aged between 18 and 34 are more enthusiastic about the second-hand economy.