Do Youths Know What 4-H in Northern Michigan Offers? | Teen Ink

Do Youths Know What 4-H in Northern Michigan Offers?

December 10, 2010
By MikaelaGraham SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan
MikaelaGraham SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Do Youths Really Know What 4-H Offers?
Youths may not know what 4h offers and what they will get out of the programs.

4-H has many programs within itself. Some programs are soccer, swimming, gardening, boxing and livestock etc.
4-H soccer and boxing is in the fall and spring. Swimming in the spring and summer as well as 4-H livestock Market. You can sign up for all of these programs at the MSU office in Boyne, or Petoskey.
The 4-H motto is “To Make the Best Better”. Participating in these sports or clubs is beneficial to your health and education, which is making you better.
Some benefits of these programs are health, scholarships, and just for fun. It seems that 4-H wants kids or youths to be active and motivated.
The more clubs or groups you are in will help get scholarships and college acceptance.
I really like how 4h offers a lot of different clubs because many people don’t like what others do. I was in Junior Master Gardening and Market Livestock for many years,
and got many benefits from both clubs. In Junior Master Gardening, I got how to plant healthy gardens and how to renew the ground yearly. With Market Livestock, I get the benefits of learning medical information, body parts, and responsibility.
4-H programs within the certain clubs offers community help, life experience and responsibilities. With Market Livestock showing skills, community help, responsibility, college scholarships, meetings and life experience are all in play regularly.
Raising an animal or two is hard responsibility. Animal care and medical information is well needed important and known. Knowing meat cuts and body parts are important as well. The judge may ask questions so its good to know as much as you can.
I would think all youths would find a creative group to be in and enjoy as well learn from. 4-H programs are beneficial and many to chose from. What do you think about 4h programs? Sophmore Angel said, “I like the programs because they are very educational for the youths”. Have you ever been in any 4h program? Angel said, “no I haven’t, because I’m already to busy.”


The author's comments:
Because I am involved in 4-H market livestock program