Socom Is Back | Teen Ink

Socom Is Back

By Fernando Perez BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Fernando Perez BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hopefully many video game players know what I'm talking about when I say thank God Socom is back. Socom is a third person shooter that found its start on the Playstation 2. The game began with Socom 1, next came Socom 11, then Socom 111, and fourth Socom Combined Assault. Zipper Interactive was the developer behind the series, but recently handed the job to the company named Slant Six. Now this move surprised me and made me a little upset. I soon let this anger go and put some faith into Slant Six. The anger came back as an announcement went out that the game was delayed. But now that is the past, let us get to the review. First thing said, Socom fans will not be let down. The new Socom, titled Socom Confrontation, brings the series back to its roots with teamwork, tactics, and fast combat. The four new maps are gorgeous and well developed. For the veterans of the game, three maps from Socom 11 make a comeback (Desert Glory, Frostfire, and Crossroads). Of course these maps are hard to play because of one major reason, THE SERVERS ARE HORRIBLE. This game is an online only game.. which means that there is no story to the game, just playing against people all over the U.S. over a network. You would think that an online only game would have steady servers, but it doesn't. The player gets kicked out of the game, stats are not recorded, and lag is a major problem. Another problem is the fact that the game cause a person's Playstation 3 to freeze many times. Final verdict is hard to write because an update and patch will fix these problems and the game will run perfectly in hopefully a month. So for right now, the game gets a 5 out of 10 because it is only half a game that becomes unplayable at times. Final word, I am a long long long time Socom fan and I couldn't be happier where the series is heading.