Two and a Half Men | Teen Ink

Two and a Half Men

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

“He gave me a chip and told me I had a nice rack.” It’s not exactly what you would expect a mother to say about her 10-year-old son, is it? That’s what makes this sitcom funny. Two brothers, Charlie and Alan Harper, and Alan’s preteen son, Jake, show just how funny family really can be. “Two and a Half Men” (weekdays, 7:30 to 8:00 pm, Fox 56) is a great sitcom for three main reasons: talented actors and actresses, well put-together characters, and absolutely dynamite writing.

Although this story revolves around Charlie Harper (Charlie Sheen), Alan Harper (John Cryer) and Jake Harper (Angus T. Jones), there are also other characters that contribute to the hilarity of the show. These being, Evelyn Harper, Alan and Charlie’s patronizing mother, played by the talented Holland Taylor, Judith Harper, Alan’s strict ex-wife, played by Marion Hinkle, Rose, one of Charlie’s previous lovers that insists on ‘checking in’ on him, played by the hilariously ditzy Melony Lynski and last, but certainly not least, is Roberta, Charlie’s grouchy house keeper, played by Conchata Farrell. Each actress plays off Charlie, Alan and Jake extremely well, discreetly using their weaknesses against them. Like in the episode that Charlie’s lover’s husband comes to visit him. Charlie starts to explain his single rule about his women, when Roberta interrupts him with the sharp but funny quote, “If she’s firm enough, you’ll do her.” Just one example of how well these people work together. The characters take their dialogue beyond itself and make it more realistic, but funny.

Charlie, Jake and Alan Harper are the main characters on this show. Charlie Harper loves beautiful women. Alan Harper loves Judith, his ex-wife but she kicked him out and won’t let him come back to his home so he lives with Charlie. That’s where the problem comes in. Charlie can’t bring women into his house when Alan’s son Jake is around. Each of these ‘men’ are such well-written characters that it seems like we really know them. And, these actors are so experienced that they actually seem like a real family. Not many actors can portray this type of thing.

On this sitcom, the writer takes a ‘sexaholic’, adds his brother and his preteen nephew and makes it unnaturally funny. Imagine being one of these characters or at least being in their place. It’s easy, isn’t it? That’s the best part about this show….it’s realistic writing. You can’t get over the fact that one or more of these situations seem really familiar. See what I mean? Every time you watch the show, the writers take real-life problems and make them entertaining, while, at the same time, the message of the show seems to touch you.

With hilarious characters, experienced actors/actresses, and original writing, “Two and a Half Men” is, by far, the best sitcom on television. This show is so funny in every way. Still, it’s hard to tell every little good thing about the show but you can see exactly why it’s worth watching. So, give life a break for half an hour, 7:30 to 8:00 pm. Sit down and relax. Turn your television on channel Fox 56 and watch “Two and a Half Men”. Trust me, you won’t regret it.