A Review on "Money Heist": The Global Phenomenon That Redefined Crime Drama | Teen Ink

A Review on "Money Heist": The Global Phenomenon That Redefined Crime Drama

By polinaperin PLATINUM, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin PLATINUM, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Red jumpsuits. Salvador Dalí masks. For five electrifying seasons, Netflix's "Money Heist" (La Casa de Papel) has captured the hearts and minds of viewers worldwide with its bold visuals, dynamic characters, and a plot that's as intense as it is unpredictable. This Spanish thriller, created by Álex Pina, has become Netflix's most-watched non-English language show.

From the beginning, "Money Heist" sets a high bar for the heist genre. The series follows a group of criminals, each code-named after major cities, as they execute meticulously planned heists under the guidance of their enigmatic leader, The Professor. The first heist at the Royal Mint of Spain is a masterclass in suspense, blending high-stakes drama with deep emotional arcs.

The show’s strength lies in its character development. Characters like Tokyo and Berlin are complex and multifaceted, keeping viewers invested. Alicia Sierra, initially a ruthless police negotiator, undergoes a remarkable transformation, epitomizing the show’s ability to create characters we love to hate and later love to love.

Family, both biological and chosen, is a central theme. The Professor’s motivations are rooted in his family's history, and the gang's bond often transcends their criminal activities. Relationships within the gang add layers of emotional depth to the plot.

The writing in "Money Heist" is brilliant. The series maintains a breakneck pace, with expertly timed cut scenes and constant twists. The finale is a rollercoaster of emotions, delivering a satisfying conclusion true to the show's spirit.

"Money Heist" resonates on a political level, with anti-establishment themes and the anthem "Bella Ciao" symbolizing resistance. Its global appeal makes it more than just a heist drama but a cultural phenomenon. Dive into the world of The Professor and his gang – you won’t be disappointed.

The series kicks off with a daring plan to rob the Royal Mint of Spain, orchestrated by the enigmatic Professor.