An In Depth Look into Netflix's | Teen Ink

An In Depth Look into Netflix's

By Ataylor7 BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey
Ataylor7 BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey

The highly anticipated show "Hollywood" by directors Ian Brennan and Ryan Murphy depicts a post-World War II Hollywood, where viewers see how aspiring filmmakers and actors are willing to do anything to make it in the big leagues. I was quickly intrigued by Hollywood after seeing the trailer on my Netflix recommendation. I consider this series to be one of the most high-quality shows I've watched in years. I expect nothing less of Ryan Murphy, who has worked on several popular series including Dahmer, Glee, Pose, and American Horror Story, just to name a few. Ryan Murphy has a large body of work falling under several genres, ranging from horror to drama. As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, Ryan likes to circle a number of his films and shows around something LGBTQ+ related, to tell the stories of those who have stories buried beneath history.

This is followed in Hollywood, where viewers are first introduced to aspiring actor Jack Castelo, who is struggling with his pregnant wife. He acquires a job at a gas station, secretly offering prostitution to wealthy industry figures, with hopes to advance his career. To create inclusive movies, filmmaker Raymond Ainsley employs Camille Washington, a gifted black actress who faces racial discrimination, in his ground-breaking production "Meg." Black homosexual screenwriter Archie Coleman crafts the screenplay for "Meg," sparking the movie's production and negotiating his connection with actor Rock Hudson, who is secretly gay and battles identity under the deceptive influence of agency Henry Willson. After being ignored for a while as the wife of the studio chief, Avis Amberg takes over Ace Studios and supports innovative initiatives with the help of seasoned casting director Ellen Kincaid. The aspirational actress Claire Wood, Avis's daughter, goes from opposing Camille to backing the studio's new course. Together, these protagonists oppose the institutionalized discrimination in Hollywood, propelling the story toward an optimistic picture of a more accepting world.

The film "Hollywood" reimagines a more inclusive and progressive past by addressing important themes in the entertainment industry, such as sexism, homophobia, and racism. The show celebrates the skill and tenacity of those who have battled for change while criticizing the structural obstacles that have traditionally restricted chances for underrepresented groups. The characters' journeys emphasize the value of diversity in storytelling and representation. Through the creative fusion of reality and fiction, "Hollywood" crafts a romantic story that invites viewers to consider the continuous battles for equality and the influence of storytelling on societal attitudes. If you have time, this is my number one recommendation on Netflix.