Invincible Review | Teen Ink

Invincible Review

April 29, 2024
By 4damonb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
4damonb GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When deciding on a show or movie to spend my precious time watching, I am very careful with my decision. I recently found myself in this dilemma, and I eventually chose Invincible because of its high ratings and popularity on the internet.


 Invincible is based off of a comic series that began publication in January of 2003 and consists of 144 issues. It is now being recreated as a show on Amazon and there are currently two seasons released with more in production.


At first glance, this show seems like a cartoon for kids because of the hand-drawn 2D animation style. It reminds me of shows I watched as a kid like Teen Titans and Young Justice and it has some similarities with these shows beyond just the style of animation, including origin and concept.


The art style may give this show a kid friendly vibe but the rating tells a different story. Most episodes are rated ages 16+ but some are rated ages 18+ due to violence and brutality in the episodes. 


The concept of the show is that an extremely powerful alien comes to Earth and becomes a superhero, has a child with a human, and then that child becomes a superhero called “Invincible”. As we begin Invincible’s superhero journey throughout season 1, we learn that his father, Omni-Man, is not the hero he is pretending to be. This concept was very intriguing to me—but it’s not the only thing that drew me to the show.


Another factor that interested me about this show was the many well known voice actors heard in each episode. Some of these voice actors include J.K. Simmons, Zachary Quinto, Clancy Brown, Mahershala Ali, Sandra Oh, and Seth Rogen. And, of course, Steven Yeun voicing Invincible (Mark Grayson), known for his performance in The Walking Dead. It is very important with an animated show to have interesting and well-spoken characters and Invincible gets a plus on that one. A stacked cast like this one has lots of potential for success. And they wildly exceeded my expectations with thrilling story progression and interesting characters as well as great music and fun humor.


With all of that said, this show is amazing. The art style is fun and original. The writing is creative and clever. The plot is intense and keeps you coming back for more. 


I watched both seasons a second time and still loved it just as much. Each character plays an important role in the story and makes the experience of watching the show feel more whole. The first season does a really good job introducing characters and the second season continues to amaze with even more character and story growth.


If you are exploring all of your streaming services for a show like I was, stop searching and queue up Invincible. You won’t regret it.


The author's comments:

I chose to review Invincible because I just recently finished watching it and thought it was a really good show. I enjoyed giving my opinion on the show.