Why | Teen Ink

Why

By BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee
BananaN3rd ELITE, Clarksville, Tennessee

If the pen is stronger than the sword, what am I supposed to do when the pen declares a war?

The Owl House. Surely a name that’s been heard before. It’s a popular Disney show with cute animations and even cuter characters. Now, I’m not going to give spoilers, but just note that if you think too hard into the next part, it could be a spoiler.

The show follows 14-year-old Luz Noceda, a human girl who is stuck going to summer camp. As her mother goes to leave, Luz throws away a book. A moment later, she regrets her decision and turns back around to retrieve it, but the book isn’t there.

Luz looks around and finds the book thief: a small owl. Luz chases the owl into an abandoned house, and as she pushes past a sheet, she notices that she’s no longer in the human realm. She’s in the demon realm.

Later on in the first episode, she meets a charming Owl Lady and an adorable King, both which aren’t human. Luz discovers toward the end of the episode that she’d rather stay in the Demon Realm rather than go to her boring summer camp. I’ll leave the story there, but here’s where the fun begins.

First off, character development is amazing in the show. Only a couple of characters don’t get redemption arcs, but even the most hateable characters are at least somewhat likable by the end of season three. 

Secondly, plot development. The pacing of the show for the first two seasons is perfect, with some filler, but all filler episodes contain a few things that contribute to the main storyline. The reason season three isn’t the best with pacing is because the show was canceled for not ‘fitting the agenda’.

Third, LGBTQ representation. That’s what I meant by adorable characters. Unlike other Disney shows, ‘The Owl House’ doesn’t push LGBTQ beliefs in your face. It’s there, but it isn’t the main focus of the show. Instead of a character folding their arms and yelling, “I’m gay!”, it’s a slow and steady walkway to get to the point of, “Oh, hey, yeah, um, I actually kinda like you but I don’t know if you’ll like me back because they would make us gay.”

Disney canceled the show, sadly for all of us Owl Lovers. The ending didn’t make a lot of sense for someone who over analyzes things, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Season three only had three episodes, compared to the forty of the past two seasons.

To summarize, ‘The Owl House’ is a great show for people who love fantasy. It’s good for people who are just stepping into the LGBTQ side of cartoons. It’s even better for people who just want an adventure in a fantasy world. Disney messed up when canceling the show, the Twitter spam should be enough to resolve that, but even though it was canceled, the team behind the show did their best to end off the show with a good conclusion.

I submitted this as "Why the Owl House is Perfect", but apparently it didn't register or something so now it's just "Why".