Review Essay | Teen Ink

Review Essay

By GoatedOnSticks GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
GoatedOnSticks GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The new Star Wars series, The Mandalorian, is a new favorite of mine. The Mandalorian includes an intriguing plot, action packed episodes, and an incredibly cute baby Yoda. 

The show so far only has four episodes which are each about 30 minutes long. It is centered around a bounty hunter who is trying to save his people. His people are warlike, yet very honorable, as weapons are a part of their religion. Everything he does in the show is for the greater good of his Mandalorian brothers and sisters. 

The Mandalorian can only be viewed using Disney+, which in itself is very new. The show is very exclusive and is really only watched by Star Wars and Disney fans. The program has already gained a 9.1 rating on IMDb (Internet Movie Database), 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 97% of Google users liked it. All of these are highly accredited critic websites that don't typically give 95% or 9.1 ratings to any show. 

So far, my opinion on the show is no different than the critics. The show enticed me from the very first scene where the Mandalorian walks into an alien bar, takes out five bad guys, and then proceeds to collect his bounty. The Mandalorian really seems like a “Deadpool” type character or an antihero since he does kill or capture people for money. I think that is what makes the Mandalorian so special.

In The Mandalorian the bounty hunter goes on a quest for a bounty. The pay is extremely high, but the mission is very dangerous. He takes the job and gets the bounty only to find it is a 50 year old child that looks a lot like a green pointy-eared jedi. He realizes he can't kill a child and keeps the green gremlin to raise him. This sets up the story of them going on adventures together. 

I think the greatest part of this series is how nurturing and caring this bounty hunter can be.  It shows how people can change. For this reason, I check Disney+ every day to see if a new episode has come out, and if I can get another glimpse of the cutest ugly thing in the universe.