Killing Eve season 2 premiere, delightfully bonkers | Teen Ink

Killing Eve season 2 premiere, delightfully bonkers

April 11, 2019
By JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
14 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.


Last year ‘Killing Eve’ burst onto our screens, becoming the surprise treat of 2018. With the success of the first season, anticipation was high for the follow-up. Thankfully, ‘Killing Eve’ season 2 has offered a premiere episode that thrives on the same unpredictable, delightfully bonkers style the first season did so well. This first episode continues Eve Polastri’s (and our own) obsession with the mercurial hitwoman Villanelle. After cornering the hitwoman at the end of season 1 and plunging a knife into her stomach, Eve is horrified to find Villanelle has fled.

*spoilers for the episode below.

Let’s start with Eve’s side of the story this week. From the scene where an ex-drug addict recognises her as an addict, I was instantly hooked. Those opening moments showing Eve’s reactions to the ‘side-splitting’ ending from last season were a treat. From her overflowing bag of pick and mix sweets to her proclaiming that she may have killed her nemesis in front of a newly engaged couple. It was all so delightfully ‘Killing Eve’. Of course, beyond the laughs, there was plenty of the show’s signature character work. Eve continues to hide her new-found obsession from her husband. Her inability to wash the blood from her fingers combined with her new obsession with knives made for thrilling T.V. Going forward this is interesting because as Eve appears to be moving away from the ‘good guy’ territory, Villanelle appeared more sympathetic this week (sort of).

This week opened with Villanelle wounded and bleeding out. Right off the bat, this is very interesting as it pits her as the underdog in stark contrast to last season. However, undoubtedly the best moment in the Villanelle side of the story this week was the ‘bone crunching’ conversation with the young boy in the hospital. At first, it was simply a chance for Villanelle’s comedic nihilism to shine. However, the situation quickly turned violent (as most situations involving this assassin do) as Villanelle snapped the child’s neck. This was a wonderful moment as it appeared that Villanelle may have done this out of kindness (in her own twisted way). She saw the state of the boy’s face, saying that he “looked like a slice of pizza.”  After he asked her “would you want to live like this?” She immediately realised that she wouldn’t and snapped his neck.

Seeing how Eve appears to be going down a darker route this season it’s interesting to see Villanelle start to show some form of empathy. Going forward, it’s a wonderful direction to take this show. It highlights just how insane Eve is to continue this obsession considering the kindest thing we have ever seen this woman do is kill a child.

As far as weak points of the episode go, despite how entertaining it was, it did feel a little ‘samey’. The status quo from season 1 is still pretty much present here. Not a major issue and one I expect will be fixed very soon but still worth noting. The show just needs a little change right now (I’m going to make an early prediction and say this will come with the death of Eve’s husband.) I’m still finding it very hard to be invested in the whole ‘12 organisation’ mystery. Though considering that a shadowy organisation who is pulling the strings is one of the few clichés this show has going on now I can stomach it.

Also, Eve immediately being recruited back into Carolyn’s operations was quite a second series cliché moment. It just re-establishes the status quo from the first. Though this is a ‘character over plot’ show so I suppose it’s more of a nit-pick than anything else. Also, Fiona Shaw as Carolyn is still one of the best parts of the show. So that’s it for this week’s review. ‘Killing Eve’ season 2 has started off on top form and sets up some interesting ideas going forward. I eagerly await the next seven episodes. Check back next week for my review of episode 2: nice and neat.

Score: 8/10