Shawn Mendes Album Review | Teen Ink

Shawn Mendes Album Review

By wonderkay4 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
wonderkay4 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

"Throw roses into the abyss and say: 'here is my thanks to the monster that didn't succeed in swallowing me alive'"

Shawn Mendes’ new album is finally out and has found its way into hearts and playlists.

The self-titled album showcases uncharted territory of the singer’s vulnerability and genre collaborations that introduce a new era of Shawn Mendes. Not only are the lyrics and topics discussed in his songs sincerely authentic, the music also brings listeners into a world of soothing melodies and punctuated rhythms.

First on the album is an insightful song called “In My Blood.” It features crescendos and rising beats that help to build up the atmosphere throughout the song. It also strays from typical songs about break-ups or love, covering issues about mental health and what it’s like living with anxiety. “In My Blood” sets a tone of unapologetic openness to any listener who is willing to hit play.

“Lost in Japan” explores new musical styles Mendes fans may not be familiar with. What starts off as a slow piano solo quickly transforms into a rhythmical groove. Classical acoustic, R&B, and jazz all combine to form an exciting bop for the ages. One high school listener, Angela Canales, said, “It was my favorite song off the album because it was distinctive and upbeat compared to the rest of the album, so it intrigued me.”

While  Shawn Mendes’ solo tracks were amazing, the collaborations were even stronger The album features  Julia Michaels, who sings on “Like to Be You” and Khalid, who sings on “Youth.” These unique collaborations show just how versatile Mendes is and what magic is created when brilliant artists come together.

“Youth,” in particular, touches on the aftermath of the Manchester concert terrorist attack last year. The message resonates with young generations across the world that are using their voices to be politically active and push for change. Songs such as this depict how Mendes is evolving his music into current, pop culture anthems. He has shown how melodies often elicit movements.

The best song on the album is, “Where Were You in the Morning?” The melancholic acoustics at the beginning slowly build up suspense to allow the beat drop at the chorus to be even more powerful. The emphasized bassline is also a driving force throughout the song that gets people snapping their fingers and tapping their foot in no time. Mendes’s polished falsetto is as smooth as silk and encapsulates an out-of-this-world soprano experience.

Overall, Shawn Mendes’s new self-titled album should not go unnoticed in the music world. The album and everything it stands for is something our generation can be proud of for years and years to come.

mbelkadi said...
on Dec. 8 2022 at 11:16 am
mbelkadi, Chicago, Illinois
Ion know my boy kinda mid he aint on mozarts level

Narniagirl4ever BRONZE, Bluffton, South Carolina

"The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work."
- Anonymous

@12376-astravo Yes they are still dating.

on Apr. 15 2021 at 12:52 am
12376-astravo SILVER, Centennial, Colorado

" A writer is a writer not because she writes well and easily, because she has amazing talent, or because everything she does is golden. A writer is a writer because, even though there is no hope, even when nothing you do shows any sign of promise, you keep writing anyway." - Junot Diaz

" Overnight Success is almost a myth. Half of this industry is luck, and half is the refusal to quit" - Victoria Schwab

Are Camilla Cabello and Shawn Mendez still dating?

on Apr. 15 2021 at 12:51 am

You did so great. This is an amazing review on Shawn Mendes' new album. Completely loved it and it was very informative. The format was super organized. This is an amazing piece of literature. Keep writing reviews.

Dani_Higareda PLATINUM, Hanahan, South Carolina

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
- Winnie the Pooh

I LOVE Shawn Mendes' new album! Great job on the review! It's very easy to follow and very informative:)

LanaM BRONZE said...
LanaM BRONZE, Hoschton, Georgia

Writing is the best way to travel somewhere, and take others with you on the journey. -Lana M

LOVE THIS ALBUM!!! Thanks so much