Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray | Teen Ink

Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray

By Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

"Young and Beautiful" is the 2013 soundtrack to "The Great Gatsby" film, performed by Lana Del Ray. Del Ray betrays a soulful rendition of the anxieties romanticised by youth, the nuances and superficiality of love, and the breathtaking speed at which life rushes by. The filmic rise on the tip of the choral notes echoes a yearn for youthful beauty and innocent love to last forever.

Lana Del Ray's haunting, unusual tone resonates with emotion and the soul, the uplifting beat on the end speaking of hopefulness in the face of misery and aging.

Sweet smelling and delicate as a rose, Lana Del Ray visualises the theme of love as stolen and pricked by the subleties of time. The question remains: will it metamorphose into something more beautiful...or will it wither as the ice falling off a leaf as beauty fades?

I think this is an interesting, unique imagining of a lover's fears, inspired by one of my favourite books and films, "The Great Gatsby". It delves into enigmanic love interest Daisy Buchanan's world, gifting us with a rare insight into her romantic, flighty persona.