Honeymoon by Lana Del Rey | Teen Ink

Honeymoon by Lana Del Rey

By L.J.Barnes. GOLD, Powhatan, Virginia
L.J.Barnes. GOLD, Powhatan, Virginia

Avoid roasted cabbage, don't eat earwax and look on the bright side of life!
~Angela the Herbalist

I think Lana Del Rey likes getting her heart broken. In her new album “Honeymoon” she sings about longing for love and her broken heart. In the second track of her album, she croons, “I lost myself when I lost you/ but I still got jazz when I’ve got those blues.” Which nicely sums up her attitude in the album. All the angst but the cleansing feeling of getting all those emotions out in the music.

Her third album has its Lana Del Rey characteristics, with its poetic and moody  lyrics. Yet the accompanying music to her cathartic lyrics has a much different vibe. While there is a hint of r+b musicality. “Honeymoon” contains many songs with the orchestra in the forefront, which along with her strong vocal chords  capture emotions. 

While at times her music feels disjointed and spacy, and the lyrics rushed. She compiles all her songs beautifully with the common theme of loss and misery. With every song about some sort of lover and the euphoria or the pain of losing someone and and all that misery it encompasses. You could effectively say that her third album is a breakup album. Encompassing the lost hope, fear and pain of losing love.

While her album may not be a top billboard top hit. And Lana Del Rey acknowledges that, with her lyrics “God knows I’ve tried.”For those who enjoy the works of Lorde or Hasley, Lana Del Rey “Honeymoon” will be a perfect supplement for your musical enjoyment. Or for anyone needing some slow yet angsty music  for their ears.

L.J.Barnes. GOLD, Powhatan, Virginia

~Angela the Herbalist

I like "God Knows I've Tried." Her songs are great when I'm feeling moody..

ellwist SILVER said...
ellwist SILVER, Surabaya, Other

"They only let you be this happy when they're preparing to take something from you." -Khaled Hosseini, the Kite Runner.

I've always liked Lana Del Rey's persona, I always imagined her as either the canary in a notable black and white film drinking from shot glasses while staring desolately at nothing or the image she painted in Carmen. I might take a jab at Honeymoon--it sounds like a recovery from the disjointed Ultraviolence. Still hoping for something as good as Born to Die. What's your favorite song from her?

Great job on this one.