The Congregation by Leprous | Teen Ink

The Congregation by Leprous

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Leprous is a Norwegian progessive/Avant Garde metal group that seem to constantly change their style. So far they have released two EP's and three LP's including the one we'll be reviewing today. When compared to more popular bands like Dream Theater, Spock's Beard and Arcturus who master these genres pretty well, these guys fall under more under the obscure for progressive music it seems. Well, it's time to change that.

The Congragation is the album Leprous released this year released around the same time as another notable prog band, Magic Pie, just thought I'd point that out. Including a total of 11 tracks, 12 if you include the bonus track Pixel, lasting for what would seem like at least an hour.  Many of the tracks are anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes in length with most leaning into the 7 and 8 minute time stamps. The music its self seems to range anywhere from jamming prog rock to almost atmospheric or gospel sounding Avant Garde with almost nothing in between sadly. That is kind of a waste of genre innovation, not that I'm complaining too horribly but I do feel they left a big gap they could have filled in, at least a little bit. Tracks like Slave, The Price, Triumphant and The Flood seem to emulate alot of the impressive soundscapes you will hear and, while seemingly barely, do fill in some of those empty spaces that I mentioned. Slave also has an oddly familiar riff at the beginning for me. Just listen to the track yourself, and once again, it's just another trivia based statement that I thought was interesting. If you've checked out Swans' To Be Kind from last year, you can tell that they went for more of a building style and contrary to the album's title, is not kind at all. This is pretty much the same thing with shorter tracks and on an almost completely opposite spectrum of the fabric of sound. I point this out due to comparisons between some of the highest rated albums from 2014 and now and to see how much you can originate your sound with an almost alienating contrast in your music, which Leprous accomplishes even when compared to more atmospheric bands like Steven Wilson who we talked about many times this year or to more Avant Garde bands like Arcturus, Aarni, Dakrya, Anathema and many others. The atmosphere like premise can get tedious and sometimes even boring at times however, especially if it lasts too long. As for this, I wish to not mention any names, you'll likely find those segments anyway. However, when the band decides to go for more of a groove or a progressive jazz approach, It surly seems to add a bit of character. I myself am getting into the jazz genre pretty easily probably because of my love for progressive music in general so segments with that sound in there puts a smile on my face. There are many things the band got right with this album, for the things they got wrong however are there, but they are mostly insignificant or me just nit picking it seems. There are some flaws nonetheless.

I give this a 9/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

Not sure about you, but I needed to stay focused a bit with this review. Tell me what you think. Leave a comment below what you thought of the review or the music. Rate and like if you liked it as well. I'm not forcing you here.

Also here's a little announcment: Iron Maiden has finally announced the release of their new album The Book of Souls which will be the first studio album to be a double disk as well. Also their epics are longer than ever with three of them and one lasting 18 minutes. To be released September 4th, 2015.