Chaosphere(1998) by Meshuggah | Teen Ink

Chaosphere(1998) by Meshuggah

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Back to Meshuggah which I haven't done in a long time. A progressive death metal/djent metal band from Sweden has released what could arguably be their Magnum Opus in this case. With that aside, I feel as if this album has alot of potential and reaches it with ease. While these guys have been around since the early 90's, this is one towards the end of that decade. But let's see what this album has in store for us shall we?

As you can see, Meshuggah can get very, very brutal when they have to. Their way of "progressive metal" is to use polyrhythems and odd time signitures, similar to Tool. This album very easily shows that concept with a bit of repitition, but to make that one riff fit in 4/4 time. Clever, and very hard to do. I find that in some tracks like Elastic, New Millillium Cyinide Christ and Sane they even evoke a sort of apocalyptic feeling. In fact, some people dare to say this is the soundtrack to the apocalypse. While I can surely get what they're saying and I have acknolodged it as well, it isn't quite that in my opinion. With the epic Elastic, there seems to be but three parts; the first one is business as usual in terms of sound. The second part is nothing but static which can be incredibly haunting, especially if you don't see it coming. The final part is when the transition to where all the previous tracks are lumped into one, epic ending. If you listen carefully and know everything well, you can probably pick out each indivisual track as well and not just hear a giant wall of loud, crunchy noise.

I find this album to be incredibly complex, but just simple enough for me to see what's going on. A nice blend of complexity and simplicity. 9.5/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

Plus research could help as well. Sadly I don't exactly see it, maybe its because I'm able to understand well because it's my review after all. Though the poly rhythms could use a bit more explanation I will admit.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

Okay, metalist, good review! I like your vocabulary (in your other reviews as well) and I think your ability to write as though you are talking to your reader in person is truly commendable. That being said, your reviews can be confusing readers like me who are not familiar with the music genres/band being reviewed, thus we get lost in the middle. I think if you tried adding more information about what you're reviewing (and make sure to do it coherently), your works would turn out perfect. All the very best.