FROOT • Marina and the Diamonds | Teen Ink

FROOT • Marina and the Diamonds MAG

April 24, 2015
By Mink_Matrix GOLD, Iola, Kansas
Mink_Matrix GOLD, Iola, Kansas
13 articles 6 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't trust words. I trust actions.


Up-and-coming Welsh artist Marina Diamandis of Marina and the Diamonds released her third album, “FROOT,” just about a year ago.

With “The Family Jewels” (2010), Diamandis started off as an independent artist. She described the album’s style as indiepop, glam-disco, and nostalgic ’80s. Her second album, “Electra Heart” (2012), was inspired by electro pop, lyrical, and dubstep musical styles. This concept album reflects on female identity and her recent breakup.

“FROOT,” Diamandis said, is more reflective. “It was almost like I had been burdened by something my whole life and then suddenly that went away.” Diamandis has claimed that with the release of “FROOT,” she is a new artist. Writing and producing it primarily on her own, she was able to showcase each song exactly as she meant it to sound. In “Happy,” Diamandis shows her emotions in a solemn voice over a sweet piano background. The lyrics “I found what I’d been looking for in myself/Found a life worth living for someone else/Never thought that I could be, I could be happy, happy” show how finding inner peace has helped open her eyes to the reasonable realm of being happy.

Her song “Immortal” was inspired by a war memorial in Poland. The grim vocals and lyrics make it sound like a personal sadness, though it quickly morphs into something more. With an underlying sense of hope, Diamandis sings, “But if the earth ends in fire, and the seas are frozen in time/There’ll be just one survivor/The memory that I was yours and you were mine.” “I’m a Ruin” is upbeat and fun, as it tells of an ex-lover she was sad to leave: “I know I’m playing with your heart, and I could treat you better but I’m not that smart,” she coos sadly.

If you have loved her work before, check “FROOT” out. If you are new to Marina and the Diamonds, check it out too. This album is worth a listen.