Alaska by Between the Buried and Me | Teen Ink

Alaska by Between the Buried and Me

January 24, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


Between The Buried and Me's third album is on the rise in 2005. Being the first of many consept albums the band has produced it is similar to that of Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime where you know there's a story, it's just hard to follow. Once again it is about 50 minutes which is still pretty short for the band in my opinion. This is one of the best starter albums for BtBaM because it shows their storytelling side and is only 50 minutes. There are more melodic moments in this one when compared to The Silent Circus. The singles, All Bodies, Alaska and Selkies: The Endless Obsession are all good examples of this. If you can somehow follow the story being told, tell me in the comments what is going on. I would like to know.

There is definatly more going in this album but much like previous ones, there are no true epics in this album. But the story within it and the fact that there is one makes up for it. If you've seen my BtBaM countdown you would know that Alaska made the list as well. They even seem to pay omage to the self titled album with the grindcore-ish elements. The track Laser Speed at the end is a great way to end off the album as well.

Overall if you want a good starting place for the band, I recommend to start here or the next album Colors. If you can somehow find out what is going on here as well good for you. I would have to say this is perfect for a starting place. 10/10


The author's comments:

Next review: Classic Reviews: Judas Priest's British Steel