Drift by Alina Baraz | Teen Ink

Drift by Alina Baraz

March 3, 2014
By phalishi BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
phalishi BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Exactly one year ago Alina uploaded her first song onto Sound Cloud; a slowly emerging sound sharing website, it was a cover of Lana Del Rey's widely popular song, Video Games. Now her songs on Sound Cloud are reaching numbers in the 10k's in plays, and in one case, 100k in plays. Her most successful song up to date is 'Drift', produced by Galimatias; an artist that collaborated with Alina various times to create sheer masterpieces. Alina creates music in the 'chill' genre, a genre that varies between many subdivisions of calm, subtle, and blissful music. At this point, Baraz is slowly but surely getting the attention of other artists and re-mixers due to many of her songs' remixes appearing.


What draws listeners in the most, is the way Alina effortlessly wraps the vocals around the intensely immersive music that only brings one closer to a sense of "Paradise", as one of her songs is called. There is so much feeling attached to every one of her tracks, listening to one of her songs for the first time will most certainly leave you speechless given the seemingly effortless talent Baraz has of painting pictures with her words.


"You're like a wave washing over me, pulling me underneath, sinking slowly."


Although there aren't many songs, one can easily sense that songs with this much power and emotion definitely aren't created so easily. Alina's songs are slowly gaining popularity, since they have greatly surged on the YouTube scene thanks to a channel named MajesticCasual, which is solely devoted to promoting and uploading only the best new and unknown music around.


The author's comments:
After finding this emerging artist, I became inspired with her sound. It was a profound thing for me, and I hope she'll inspire many other people as well.