Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines, and Trying Times | Teen Ink

Jonas Brothers - Lines, Vines, and Trying Times MAG

June 26, 2009
By Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you?"
- U2


There are those who dislike the Jonas Brothers because of their plastic nature as a band. The first songs from these brothers – “Year 3000” and “S.O.S.” – are criticized for meaningless lyrics that no one can relate to. At first, I did not like them either. Then their self-titled album was released, and I found something in their music that was interesting and different. But I knew they had yet to prove themselves as a credible band.

With the latest album from this Disney pop rock trio, “Lines, Vines, and Trying Times,” the Jonas Brothers have proven they can transition from Disney pop and produce unique music.

Starting with the exciting rock song, “World War III,” the group deviates from their previous music. The song ­establishes them as a growing band that cannot be contained in a plastic pop genre.

There are still those pop songs to intrigue their previous fan base, but there is so much more on this album. The Jonas Brothers are really branching out. They even collaborated with Common in “Don't Charge Me for the Crime,” a truly captivating mix of rock and rap. In my opinion, the song shows that the Jonas Brothers are not afraid to take risks, a key factor in becoming a great band.

To me, the song that pushed this Jonas Brothers' album into the spotlight was “Turn Right.” Unlike their previous ballads (“A Little Bit Longer” or “When You Look Me in the Eyes”), this one actually reaches the heart. They keep it simple with a slow and steady beat. The most memorable factor for me is the touching lyrics people can connect with. It is, in my opinion, their best song.

This album shows the Jonas Brothers' true range and that they have what it takes to be one of the great bands of our time. I don't think they are quite there yet, but they should build off of the ideas they introduced in this album.

Through some unique collaborations and by trying different sounds, they could conceivably become the next U2. As long as they build on it, “Lines, Vines, and Trying Times” could be the Jonas Brothers' gateway to super stardom!


The author's comments:
I have been hearing many people talk about how they dislike the Jonas Brothers because of their association with the plastic pop, Disney, and I wanted to introduce a new spin on the latest album.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 14 comments.


bodyrock said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 3:23 pm
i love the jonas brothers omg haha:P

Hope Udarbe said...
on Feb. 4 2011 at 3:41 pm
Hope Udarbe, Westminster, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 25 comments
oh my gosh the jonas brothers ewww

on Jun. 6 2010 at 10:23 am
LaughingGirl GOLD, Ocala, Florida
13 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
Play the music not the instrument. -Author Unknown

I'm not a big fan of the Jonas Brothers, but hey do have a few good songs such as "LoveBug". But that is about it for me...

TheJust ELITE said...
on Mar. 13 2010 at 6:47 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Their latest album is definetly my favorite!

XCLover GOLD said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 11:44 pm
XCLover GOLD, Sandpoint, Idaho
18 articles 0 photos 92 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I know I run like a girl, try and keep up!" ~Anon
"You only ever grow as a human being if you are outside your comfort zone." ~Percy Cerutti
"The hug is incomplete without you :3" NinjaMan

You definitely bring a lot of musical knowledge to this article. I've been a Jonas Brothers fan for a while but I haven't found too many reviews that have this level of musical analysis. I admit, though, that I don't spend much of my time reading their reviews haha.

I think the only song I've actually heard from this album was Paranoid. I really liked it, I think I'll look into more of the songs from the album.

Keep up the good work!

JeanGrey GOLD said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 9:39 pm
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa
10 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

I personally don't like them because of the lyrics of many of their songs. Many of their songs are just about girls, whether it is dating them, breaking up with them or making up with them. It always seems that they are "In love". I think for them to really establish themselves as a real band, one that can't be classified as "a plastic pop group" or "a typical boy band", they need to sing about what truly matters. There are more pressing matters in the world like hunger, abortion , poverty and pollution. I am NOT saying they should start singing about all the depressing problems in this world, but to make a stand or sing something with deeper meaning would definitly set them apart from the "Disney" stereotype. See what I am trying to say?

on Dec. 2 2009 at 9:55 pm
caitlin.calamity BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
-Bruce Barton

I love the Jonas Brothers. I've loved them for a long time. Before they ever made it to Disney. The only album of theirs I did not like was their third. I haven't heard much of "Lines, Vines, and Trying Times," but now that you have given it such a nice review I may have to go listen. And to everyone who HATES the Jonas Brothers, get over it. No one who "hates" them should care enough to read this...

on Oct. 27 2009 at 10:11 am
Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you?"
- U2

I said that they COULD be the next U2, not that they ARE the next U2. U2 make bold moves in music, they aren't afraid to test different sounds, and I believe that if the Jonas Brothers continue what they're trying to do in this album they could be almost as good as U2.

acsys said...
on Oct. 27 2009 at 2:38 am
wow, do u even know who u2 is??

they're one of the greatest rock bands whose been around for decades. The jonas brothers can't even compare to them!!

on Oct. 18 2009 at 9:45 pm
Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you?"
- U2

Disney is a cornerstone of entertainment and culture in this day and age. If you dislike it so much then why do you waste your time reading about it?

on Oct. 18 2009 at 9:44 pm
Manleader BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who's to say where the wind will take you? Who's to say what it is will break you?"
- U2

For all of those readers who do not appreciate the Jonas Brothers: I respect your opinion, but if you dislike them so much, please give me an actual reason for why you do dislike them. So far, I have not heard one actual reason from anybody other than that they are Disney stars.

on Oct. 18 2009 at 12:56 pm
xXYourxRainXx BRONZE, Moyock, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't be afraid of shadows, it only means there's a light nearby" -Amy lee

Jonas brothers suck as well does any other disney star......They suck just as much as disney does

on Oct. 17 2009 at 9:08 am
reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio
7 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Well I love the Jonas Brothers! It's really childish of you to say that on a review about them without even sqaying why you hate them. If you hate them so much then don't read reviews on them! They're a great band and some people need to respect that.Rude much?

on Sep. 27 2009 at 1:53 pm
accio-sarcasm, Nunya Effin Business, Other
0 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To the well organized man, death is but the next great adventure."
-Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

"There's nothing wrong with you. There's just a lot wrong with the world you live in."
-Chris Colfer

I HATE THE JONAS BROTHERS!