Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 Review | Teen Ink

Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 Review

By oliviapako BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
oliviapako BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey

"I don't know how much value I have in this universe but I do know I made a few people happier than they would've been without me and as long as I know that, I'm as rich as I ever need to be." - Robin Williams

A band I can't emphasize enough is a supergroup called the Traveling Wilburys. I think the reason I adore this band so much is because of the band members, George Harrison from the Beatles, Jeff Lynne from Electric Lights Orchestra, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison. When I first discovered the Traveling Wilburys, their music style didn’t really appeal to me as it does now. However, something about the Wilburys drew me in. Although I wasn’t initially a fan of country or folk music, this band introduced me to those genres and shaped my musical taste to what it is today. This band also introduced me to new singers who have become my favorites. “Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1' holds a special place in my heart as it marks the beginning of something with their music and has become one of my favorite albums of all time.

“Handle with Care” is the opener of the album with all the members singing on this track. This song is the only song to feature everyone singing. It took me a while to actually start listening to this track because for the longest time I avoided it with everything I had. My reasons for avoiding it are unknown but I just remember trying to stay away from this track. It only took one listen for me to actually fall in love with this track. The song is layered with all the members playing a guitar which gives it that distinct and full Wilbury sound which resonates with me a lot. This is a song everyone should listen to because everyone would actually like it, I know that for a fact. 

Next is “Dirty World,” which is the song that is at the bottom of my list. The meaning of the song just doesn't sit well with me, though the song is still as good as the others. Don't get me wrong, Bob Dylan's writing does not fail in this piece, but for me, this song isn't it. The track features a lot of great aspects from Dylan’s style of  writing, but it's just not one of my favorites from the album nor the group itself. 

“Rattled” brings a very old fashioned and twangy vibe to the album which I love. Jeff Lynne is the predominant vocalist of the song but the track also features Petty and Orbison which gives it a lot more. The older fashion sound really sits with me well, as I like very old fashioned things like music, fashion, and aesthetics. Though the song isn't the most standoffish, it still is an excellent track on the album

“Last Night” is a song I could talk endlessly about. It's just a fun song with a very morbid meaning. Tom Petty sings this song as I've seen him sing most Wilbury songs, which really says something because he wasn't even supposed to be in the band at all. He sings about last night, in which he goes out and meets a woman who the narrator falls in love with. However, as Roy Orbison takes the singing from Petty during the bridge, it is revealed that the woman wants to rob the narrator and threatens his life. I feel like with most songs, there is a story that is hard to decrypt but this songs says the story really bluntly. The story is a super fun idea and the whole entire track is super catchy, which makes this a great song. 

I can not put into words how “Not Alone Anymore” makes me feel. This song is by far my favorite track on the album. The vocals provided by Roy Orbison make this song feel like you are in another universe. This track is what made Orbison my favorite singer. His operatic voice really shines through on this track. The beginning is iconic and it really sets the mood but when Orbison sings, it just makes the song ten times better. It really is a powerful vocal moment for my favorite singer and I know for a fact that if it was sung by any of the other Wilbury, it probably wouldn’t be as great, nor my favorite track. This is the song that revived Orbison's career and it will forever be my favorite Traveling Wilburys track. 

“Congratulations” is a song I have mixed feelings for. It's another great Bob Dylan song I used to adore a lot but recently the track hasn't really been for me. It's the slowest song on the album and its style is a lot different from the other Wilbury songs. This song is really nothing like the other songs which throws a curveball at you. It's a great song for sure but it's honestly not what you are expecting. I really liked this song earlier on but now it really just doesn't suit my style. I prefer faster songs and this song doesn't fit those standards.

“Heading for the Light.” follows “Congratulations.” The song is very contrasting to the previous track because it's super upbeat, though with a title like that, you might not think of it as happy. This song quickly became one of my favorite tracks, like love at first listen. Jeff Lynne really powers this song with his harmonic bridge, and George Harrison performs a solid body to this song. There's not much I can say about this song, there's nothing super special about it, but oh boy is this song super great. I can honestly say that about all the songs on the album but this song really just outperforms itself.

For the longest time I hated the song “Margarita.” I remember not liking it because the song is a mess. This song, as far as I know, is the only song to feature a synthesizer, which I also hated. But there's not much to the song. There's no structure, no meaning, but now I actually do like it. I'll go as far as saying it's in my top 3 favorite songs off this album. I’ve learned to appreciate the weird and unpopular songs people have performed and this is definitely one of those songs. The synth definitely grew on me and the lyrics, despite making no sense, are so much fun. It almost makes me want to dance and sing. Margarita was the last track of the whole album I added to my playlist. I typically don't add whole albums but “Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1” is an exception, and Margarita is the final piece of the puzzle.

Up next is “Tweeter and the Monkey Man.” Oh where do I start? This is the longest Traveling Wilbury song and it's very different to most songs. It tells a story. I mean most songs tell a story, but this song tells the story bluntly, even more bluntly than “Last Night.” It's about these two criminal dealers who murder an undercover cop, and the Monkey Man is in love with the cop's sister, Jan. There's really a lot to the story, like how the undercover cop and Monkey Man are rivals, Tweeters backstory, and it also takes place in New Jersey. The song is super catchy with its iconic guitar riff. It was one of those songs where when I first discovered it, I would listen to it on repeat. Bob Dylan sings the song which feels almost right, it's a very Bob Dylan-esque song. I don’t know what it is about this song, it's very repetitive, and again, there's no aspects to it, but for some reason, I really enjoy it. 

Last but not least, “End of the Line”. This was the song that really got me into the Traveling Wilburys. With the exception of Bob Dylan, all of the Wilburys are featured on this track, though I really wish Dylan was featured. The positivity of this song makes this track feel reassuring, because the main lyric is “It's all right…” which just kinda gives me a sense of security. I discovered this song on YouTube while watching some other junk. I wasn’t a Beatles fan at the time but when scrolling through YouTube, I saw the thumbnail with George Harrison on it. Despite not knowing, I was very confused because I thought it was Harrison but I was surprised when the title of the song didn’t say The Beatles or George Harrison. Nonetheless, curiosity got the best of me so I watched the music video and absolutely got blown away. Let me tell you, the Traveling Wilburys have music like no other, their music is absolutely incredible. I believe their music is especially incredible because of the fact they are all guitarists, so the layering of guitars really makes the song sound insane and full. “End of the Line", along with “Handle With Care” are among my top recommendations for the Traveling Wilburys. I honestly can't get enough of this song. It's a great start to getting into the Traveling Wilburys, and it's a great ending to the wonderful album.