The Sounds of Longing: A review of "Outside" by Tender | Teen Ink

The Sounds of Longing: A review of "Outside" by Tender MAG

May 15, 2023
By Juan BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Juan BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The song “Outside” by James Cullen and Dan Cobb, also known as Tender, was released on August 3rd, 2016. The fifth song on the British duo’s EP, titled “III,” sees the R&B and electronic record serve as a landmark for the group following a big announcement to their fans. Announcing their newest venture after signing with Partisan Records, the duo’s success comes one year after their formation in London, England, in 2015.

“Outside” starts with subtle piano keys, and you can hear the chatter of people in the background. A pulsing yet slow tempo is defined at the beginning of the song. A mashup of genres, the alternative and indie song encapsulates the feeling of longing and heartbreak. Lyrics such as, “I will judge myself, Guilty of loving you too much,” show the desperation and introspectiveness of the singer, yearning for the other person’s love, knowing that he’s become obsessed while getting the person to like them.

The London duo mixes different instrumentation variants, making the realization that they recorded this song in their apartment basement even more enjoyable. The reverb and electric guitar give the song an atmospheric aurora, moments in the song where lyrics aren’t the primary focus. Instead, the focus shifts to deep pockets of instrumentation playing, allowing for breathing room to provide a point of reflection in the song. Serving as an introduction to a broader demographic, new listeners will most likely find the duo’s genre-blending and atmospheric vibes to be a refreshing breath of air in the pop soundscape.

After combining a fusion of genres, the band’s first commercially advertised song serves as an introduction to what the group’s defined sound is. A reflective and lamenting song about heartbreak, the melancholy lyrics create a conversation about a one-sided relationship. The song captures feelings of loss and longing, which many listeners facing struggles in such relationships can relate to. While constantly creating their unique identity in the British dance and indie music scene, new listeners may be surprised by what they hear.