'SOUR' by Olivia Rodrigo Album ranking and review | Teen Ink

'SOUR' by Olivia Rodrigo Album ranking and review

June 29, 2021
By SuryaVirVaidhyanathan GOLD, Delhi, Other
SuryaVirVaidhyanathan GOLD, Delhi, Other
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

So far, the best album released in 2021. SOUR is truly a bop.


11. enough for you
 Out of all the songs on the album, this feels the most personal. I can visualise this song and almost feel the pain Rodrigo goes through as she tries her best to be like her boyfriend’s exes. Discreetly, Rodrigo wants us to be who we are, don’t pretend to be someone else cause you are amazing, you are enough. Is it a bad song, no. Is it my least favourite on SOUR, yes.

10. hope ur ok

Similar to ‘Boys Will Be Boys” by Dua Lipa, I am conflicted if this song fits into the album or not. Moving away from describing this boys childhood, 2 minutes into the song hope ur ok picks up and gets better and better. The most interesting part of this song for me is the last 10 seconds, Perhaps hinting towards a deluxe album? Or a continuation of this story? it’s an interesting end.

9. favourite crime

If I had to describe this song in one word: It’s incomplete. The Intro, Pre Chorus, Build up were all excellent. Rodrigo just misses the mark with the chorus. The last minute of the song is simply gorgeous and a find myself going back to hear that part over and over again.

This song is growing on me and turns out for the general public as well. Favourite Crime rose off of its debut at 18 to 16 on the Billboard Hot 100, very uncommon for an album track. This goes to show Rodrigo’s reach and popularity.

8. good 4 u

Smashing records again!

The third single off of SOUR proves that Rodrigo is the moment. Breaking her own record for most streamed song globally and going viral on social media. Other than the lyrics ‘like a damn sociopath’ this song is very interesting and an early contender for Billboard’s Song of the Summer.

7. brutal

I must say Brutal was quite the opening track, It was unexpected. The sudden beat changes are interesting but could have been more refined. Her writing in this song showcases GEN-Z angst to a T. Personally, I can relate to this song, my favourite lyric has to be ‘I’m so sick of 17 Where’s my f — king teenage dream’ shout out to Katy!


6. drivers license

This song reminds me of a K-pop Debut, breaking records on its opening week, going viral, and debuting at Number 1 on the Billboard Global Chart. It is currently the longest-running Number 1 Song on the Billboard US Charts in 2021 (8 weeks).

This song continues to impress me, especially Rodrigo’s live performance at the BRITS where she features her raw emotions in full.

5. 1 step forward, 3 steps back

Other than the fact that this song *samples* ’ New Year’s Day’ by Taylor Swift, Swift’s influence on Olivia as a singer can be seen through this song especially in the sarcastic manner Olivia sings the line ‘Like which lover will I get today?’. While I do love the chirping birds, the song could have had a nicer beat, but it’s a great song either way.

4. deja vu

This song screams summer. It is very interestingly produced. The Ad-libs, the layering, along with the writing make this song the best single. The video adds visual appeal and I must watch the video with the song. I could see this song becoming my favourite if I keep screaming “I KNOW YOU GET DEJA VU” at the top of my lungs.

3. jealousy, jealousy

Rodrigo finds herself obsessed with the toxic culture of social media. Strangers get to her head and she refuses to quit. Jealousy, Jealousy exemplifies the impact of the 2000’s Rock-Pop on Rodrigo. This song makes me angry, I feel like getting bangs and getting in a jewel filled bathtub like Taylor Swift did in ‘Look What You Made Me Do’. This song has the best production on the entire album, hats off to Nigro.

2. happier

This song screams ‘Love on the Brain’ by Rihanna. Every time this song comes on I can not stop myself and queue ‘Love on the Brain’ to play next. This song is well written & produced by Daniel Nigro. The bridge at the end just gives me everlasting goosebumps. Happier is the best work done by the two, but it is not the best song on the album, because that HAS to be…


1. traitor

Traitor is truly the best song on the album. It is well written, jaw-droopingly produced. The build-up is perfect. Though it is sandwiched between two monsters- Brutal and Drivers License- Traitor emerges as the victor, the most impactful. Traitor peaked at number 5 on the Official UK Charts. It has also seen worldwide Critical and Public acclaim. Go stream traitor, NOW!


The author's comments:

Written By Surya