Sunset Season | Teen Ink

Sunset Season MAG

By camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California
camilamedeles GOLD, Sacramento, California

"It is not what the world holds for it is what you bring to it"-Anne

Conan Gray is a 19-year-old singer songwriter from Texas. He started his music career on YouTube, and  his career skyrocketed in 2018 after he released his song “Idle Town” – an ode to his small hometown. ”Idle Town” now has over 10 million views on YouTube and over 13 million streams on Spotify.

Later that year Gray moved to LA and met a producer from Republic Records who helped him add some final touches to the songs he had written. He released his first  EP, called “Sunset Season,” last November.

Conan tries to relate with his fans through his music. For example his song “Generation Why” is the perfect song to explain his approach to songwriting. This song is a message to older generations and the media that see 21st century teens as selfish, sad, and lazy. Throughout the song Gray uses a sarcastic voice to mimic the false perceptions of teens: “Cause we are the helpless, selfish, one-of-a-kind millennium kids, that all wanna die.” These lyric are significant because a lot of teens can relate to them. Parents and teachers pressure us to be so perfect and they forget that we’re just kids. 

Gray also sings about the intensity of teenage emotions in upbeat songs such as “Crush Culture,” or sad heartbreaking ones like “Lookalike.” Both of these song are about being in love, but their tempo, sound, and message are very different. “Crush Culture” is about liking someone who doesn’t like you back – so you take it out on everyone else. Then “Lookalike” is about trying to get over someone you loved. Conan writes about topics that every person in high school can relate too. “Greek God” is written about the popular mean kids. It talks about bullying, saying, “You and all your friends have to walk in a squad cause y’all are so insecure” and “I know what you really want – a little more confidence.” There are people who seem larger than life who are so mean because they can get away with it. “They hurt people because they are hurting,” reminds Conan, “but once you’re older and wiser, they fade into nothing and just become stories from high school, just folklore.”

Gray’s music career hasn’t been easy, but he still manages to keep his head held high. In “Sunset Season” he’s not afraid to answer questions, to stick up for others, and to build relationships with people. Conan’s main goal is to make kids who are hurting or struggling feel like people care about them.

I recommend this album to teens because it’s so relatable. Listening to it feels like a therapy session. The album includes songs that go perfectly with any mood, whether you are happy, sad, or experiencing heartbreak. Conan Gray is talented, inspiring, and emotional; his music should be heard by everyone.