NF Perception | Teen Ink

NF Perception

March 1, 2019
By Joelle13 BRONZE, Naches, Washington
Joelle13 BRONZE, Naches, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

27-year-old Nate Feuerstein better known as NF released his third album called Perception in 2017. This album features 16 storytelling songs all from his view of life and the world we live in. I think this album does a great job of earning the label “NF real music” which was launched the same year. It has really opened my eyes on subjects that other songwriters don't often touch on.

At a young age Nate's parents got a divorce, soon after his mom got a boyfriend who was abusive. In 2009  he moved in with his dad after his mom died of a drug overdose. I feel like this bit of information is important for this album review because  of Nate's past brings you closer to his lyrics and you're able to follow the story they're telling.

“Let you down,” and “If you want to love” are two of my favorite NF songs, which are both featured in this album.  

“Let you down”   is a super personal song it talks about his relationship with his parents, having trust issues, and throughout the song he has a one-sided argument going on with himself. “If you want  love” talks about the truth of trying to find love. “If you want love, you gon' have to go through the pain...

you gon' to have to learn how to change, If you want to trust, you gon' to have to give some away.” These couple of lines are examples of the truth NF puts behind all of his lyrics.

Although Nate started his career on a karaoke machine, immediately after he started up a music career and released songs then was signed to Xist in 2012. He was labeled as a singer, rapper and songwriter, this partnership did not last long. He went on his own for a couple of years and built up a fan base, until 2014 when he signed with  CMG. Since then his debut album Mansion was number 62 on Billboard 200 in 2015. Therapy section was top 10 on rap albums charts in 2016 and perception hit number one on Billboard 200. I can only imagine how proud he and his producer Tommee profit are by the fanned bass they have built.

Overall I would give this album a 9/10 because I think there are some tracks on other albums that I can jam to better on a daily basis.  “Got you on my mind” from Therapy session is definitely in my top three favorite NF songs.

Nate Feuerstein has been an inspiration to me. He teaches people that when times are hard take your experience and help someone out. Rather that’s through a therapy sessions. Or telling them your perception of things, don’t let them down and don’t leave them wanting love, give it to them like Nate has done for us. I would recommend this artist for anyone wanting something new to listen to.


The author's comments:

Read to find out about NF lattest ablum.