Deadpool | Teen Ink

Deadpool

February 7, 2017
By Purplesnower SILVER, Tirana, Other
Purplesnower SILVER, Tirana, Other
5 articles 0 photos 9 comments

“A fast-talking mercenary with a morbid sense of humor is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers and a quest for revenge” is not an accurate representation of the movie ‘Deadpool’ in the slightest (IMDB). A witty comedy with fast paced action, lots of fourth wall breaks and references to other medias, a fun short film that IS NOT for the whole family. Deadpool is a very fun, light, morbid and above all entertaining movie with great comedy and deliverance.

The writers in this movie really can be considered heroes for the outstanding work they did with the script and one liners. The comedy deliverance is exceptional, the jokes are amazing, and there are many fourth wall breaks, like in the beginning of the movie. It takes the watcher off guard, in a relaxing and comedic way. The icing on top of the cake with the fourth wall breaks is the other characters’ confusion about them, they ask Deadpool who he’s talking to and he always replies with “them” motioning towards the camera, or ignores the character outright. Finally, the best part about the lines is the diversity they have between them. If you watch the first and second uncensored Deadpool trailers, you’ll see that Deadpool says some different things in the second trailer compared to the same scenes from the first trailer.

Next up is the public reception; and while getting some decent to good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, around 8.2/10, what really counted was the fan reception (Rotten Tomatoes). The last time they had seen Deadpool was in “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” which is considered to be a horrible movie, receiving score averages of 6.7/10 and 38/100 on IMDB and rotten tomatoes, accordingly (Rotten tomatoes and IMDB). One of the reasons for the hate in that movie was the portrayal of Deadpool, an opposite of the beloved comic character. They sewed his mouth shut, gave him a big chest laser and claws, the regenerating power did stay, however, and most importantly, took his comedic sense away. That was something the fans really hated, so after seeing the trailers for the Deadpool movies, people became hopeful, and thankfully their expectations were met. There was also a lot of skepticism before the movie, as people did worry that the movie might not meet expectations and end up a flop. For those reasons the initial fan receptions were great, and the current critic reception is good.

The final main point is the movie’s own opinion on itself, which sounds weird as is. The movie doesn’t take itself seriously, in the best of ways. There are fourth wall breaks like Deadpool referencing the low budget of the studio with the fact that there are ever only two X-men inside the mansion. There are moments when Deadpool literally pushes the camera away, deciding the scene ahead is too graphical or private for the viewers. The movie takes itself lightly, and for it’s short run-time, especially compared to other superhero movies, it’s almost refreshing. Having the movie end so soon kind of let me down, but reminded that “this isn’t your average superhero movie” as Deadpool stated at the beginning.

You might be thinking that you’ve seen the movie and don’t like it as much as the reviews or me, frankly. One of the movie’s weak points is that not everyone would like the vulgar, almost sadistic comedy. It really isn’t for everyone, I can easily see some some of my relatives not enjoying his movie. The solution to that is, well nothing. Sometimes you have to admit that, some things just aren't for everyone.

The only other major weak point is it’s horribly generic plot. You may not have noticed, but the story is some guy losing his girl, so now he has to beat up a bad guy and get her back. It’s that simple, yet the plot never was the focus. As I said, you never noticed, because you were focusing on the comedy and and the humor. The story never once crossed your mind, and it’s not supposed to. For a movie that barely takes itself seriously, considering the plot would be the opposite of that.

Deadpool really is a fun, fast paced action comedy. It’s a great 1 hour and 30 minutes of time, and really shouldn’t be summarised. It’s much less than it’s summaries, the story is as complex as the one sentence description it gets. However, the most important thing is to remember Deadpool's comedy, and it’s morbid, light, comical and best of all amazing deliverance.


The author's comments:

I really liked Deadpool.