Inside Out | Teen Ink

Inside Out

May 25, 2016
By ArtsyAuthor PLATINUM, Oakland, New Jersey
ArtsyAuthor PLATINUM, Oakland, New Jersey
21 articles 1 photo 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
"At first you don't succeed, try, try again."


"Inside Out" is a 3D computer-animated Disney movie created on Pixar studios. 

 

When the movie starts, we see baby Riley. We then go into her head to see Joy, who is determined to keep Riley happy at all costs. The other emotions are Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger. They all seem to have their job of protecting Riley, except for Sadness, which Joy and the others look down upon. 

 

Riley's memories are, at least, in her mind, balls. The ball's colors may depend on the mood, for example, if that memory was an unhappy one, it would be blue, representing sadness. The most important memories are called Core Memories, which are the memories that make up Riley. For example, the memory of her first shooting a goal in hockey is a Core Memory, as playing hockey a part of Riley.

 

Life goes well, until Riley and her family moves to California. Riley's mood starts to darken, as her house isn't as great as she imagined, the moving truck (with almost all of their items) is delayed, and the local pizza store only sells broccoli pizza (and broccoli's Riley's least favorite vegetable).

 

Soon, the audience discovers that once Sadness touches a memory, it turns sad and can't be changed back to happy. This leads to a catastrophic event at her new school, where Riley starts to cry in front of everybody in her class because a happy memory turned sad. 

 

Riley crying at school causes another Core Memory, however, up until then, all Core Memories were happy, instead this one was blue. Joy tries to throw it away, but instead, she and Sadness along with the other Core Memories get sucked away into other parts of Riley's mind.

 

After a while, Joy realizes that in order for Riley to be better, she needs Sadness, so that she may get help. The movie ends with a happy note, and the emotions are able to make Riley happy again.

 

In my opinion, this movie was terrible. The animation was great, but the plot was quite dark. People should be able to control their emotions, instead of emotions controlling people. That is actually quite disturbing when one thinks about it. 

 

Another point is, that the movie only displayed five emotions. Although it may be for simplicity, it misses out on the many other emotions that human beings possess, such as Love, Pride, and Shame. This movie is saying that humans have only five emotions, which can definitely be contradicted.

 

Showing that five emotions are controlling your head shouldn't be shown to children. Children should know that they are in charge of their minds, instead of emotions. They should also know, that humans aren't clipped down to the just five simplest feelings. Is this what is means to be human?


The author's comments:

I really didn't like Inside Out.