The Jungle Book | Teen Ink

The Jungle Book

By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia

"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

The story of Mowgli comes alive in this year’s film production of The Jungle Book (2016). The Jungle Book was originally a children’s book that was adapted into a movie in 1967. Even if you are a fan of the original, I would highly recommend seeing The Jungle Book again because when you see it this time, it will be an entirely different experience.

The characters have been reimagined to fit their same roles. Mowgli, a man cub, is intense and real. He is raised with the wolves, who live in a pack and follow the laws of the jungle. The elephants are given more majesty and power than the adorable and goofy ones in the original movie. Bagheera, a panther, and Baloo, a bear, are more fierce and caring than ever before. Everything has been heightened to some extent.

Together all of the members of the jungle must face the issue of Mowgli’s presence in the jungle. As a man, he carries a stigma of destruction and disregard for wildlife. The animals fear the “red flower” or fire, which has killed and destroyed their land before; and the animals know only man can carry the red flower. Most opposed to Mowgli’s presence is Shere Khan, the jungle’s tiger. He has no respect for the laws of the jungle and threatens to kill Mowgli’s pack until he can get the chance to kill Mowgli himself.

With special effects and CGI animation use, The Jungle Book immerses you into another world with animals that talk and fight and interact in all sorts of ways. It feels purely invigorating to see a little man cub go running and swinging through a jungle to fight for his right to stay in the jungle.